2012ImpalaPoliceCar

Texas: It’s OLD, but looks new and never used. My mechanic told me I can use it as a spare.

Volvo: I meant to specifically ask my mechanic, but I bothered him enough and figured I have a while if I want to order a new spare tire. I can order the fifth tire when the new ones are rotated.

You’re using the original spare, not the best of the tires on the car? That’s 12+ years old, I wouldn’t use it. If you’re planning to use the best of the tires on the car, I can’t offer an opinion without knowing how old it is.

You don’t need a new tire for a spare . A tire shop may have a good used tire of the correct size that is only a few years old . Many cars now don’t even have a spare and very few have a full size . Or you could even buy a cheap Walmart tire for a spare .

The dry rot on the old set of tires is likely to be far worse that the condition of the spare tire.

An old used tire has a greater possibility of splitting or separating while stored in the trunk due to its compromised rubber and it won’t be useable when you need it. The miles of use on a tire and exposure to sun light is more damaging to a tire than the years of storage in the trunk.

I’ll be getting a newer used tire for a spare.

THX everyone!

1 Like

I’m I the only one wondering what’s going on and what’s all this stuff about spare tires and potential fatal accidents?

You get a flat tire you:

1. Slap on the spare.
  2. Locate as convenient & competent tire shop
  3. Go to their web site to find your optimal tire
  4. Telephone the shop to arrange an appointment, mentioning that you’ll be waiting while it’s being done.
  5. And at the appointed time, drive cautiously, delivery the car, allow an hour for bad coffee and 20 year old magazines or call an Uber, cab or bus to do something else.
2 Likes