2012ImpalaPoliceCar

Finally got around to having maintenance fix the kitchen faucet & the oven.

He also put the fireplace back together after the dead bird incidence.

So now I just have to have my broken tooth attended to, hopefully on Monday or Tuesday.

Oh, and the flat tire I just found out about!

Not sure yet where to put the full-sized spare, which has more tread than any of the others.

I’m thinking it should go on the rear until I get it to the mechanic on Monday or Tuesday. I’m researching and looking for suggestions, hopefully before the downpours start again.

Mechanic ? Why not a tire shop ?

For just a few days, just replace the flat with the spare.
Why wait until Monday? No tire shops open in your area?

I trust my mechanic and it is a full-size spare with more tread than the others. Just not sure where to put it, front or rear.? Thinking it should go on the rear.

Full size spare, again, just put it on where the flat tire is.

1 Like

But does he stock tires ? If not then either he or you will need to go get a tire from a tire store . Not sure what the full size has to do with anything.

He’s gotten them quickly in the past. May he’ll repair it.

Maybe he’ll be able to repair it. Again, I trust him.

That is good but I would bet that you are 1. Paying too much for tires 2. Buying more tire than you really need 3. Not getting the selection that a tire store has.

I had a friend who inherited her father’s '80s era Buick. She drove it only a few times each year, and probably put less than 900 miles on it, annually.

Because her father taught her about the importance of oil changes, she was good about having the oil changed once each year, but her “trusted” mechanic convinced her that she also needed to have the spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter changed once a year.

And, when it came time for tires, the tires that he convinced her to buy were some BF Goodrich all-terrain tires that looked bizarre on her old sedan, and which were totally inappropriate for someone who drove sedately in solely urban environments.

I don’t know about GrandMarquis, but I research tires, then print out the tires I want. Then have the shop order them, my shop price matched them to the Tirerack price.

BTW, since you are worried about miss matched diameters, and decide to replace rather than repair. You will need, at the minimum two new tires. Most sources I have read suggest the new tires would go on the rear.

Couple things here, 1st thing, if it is an oem full size spare tire, I would not drive it over 30 MPH due to age, 10yo+ tires can fail and blow out without notice from dry rot…

2nd, technically a New tire should go to the rear along with the next best tire…

3rd, since you are replacing the spare with the repaired or new tire very soon, then it is just a spare, just throw it on and run it wherever…

1 Like

AAA put the full size spare on. Can I use a donut as a spare on this for the next few days. Some 2012 Impala’s apparently came with this according to the manual.

You want to remove the full-size spare tire and install a compact spare? Do you have both?

Is this the only car you have ? Are you going to buy a Temporary spare just for a few days ? Would it not make sense to find a tire shop open tomorrow ? There is always Walmart and I think they will fix flats on Sunday . You are making this way too complicated.

A full size spare (if normal tire) can be used just like the other normal tires on the vehicle, a compact spare (space saver) tire is designed to get you from the point of the flat to the tire shop to be repaired/replaced, not to be used for daily driving…

Yes you can use a compact spare as a spare for your spare, but remember you are running out of spares…

And yes they make full size temporary spare tires… :man_facepalming:

All the tires need to be replaced next week. Until then I’m nervous to use the car without a spare. It will have to be towed if I get another flat.

My neighbor, who made arrangements for purchasing this car, has a donut that I can borrow. We’re gonna see if he can patch the flat tire.

Ummmm???

Did AAA forget how to tow??

2 Likes

Rather change a flat tire than have it towed.

Good Grief , just go on line search for tire sales at places open tomorrow and get new tires . Problem solved.

Edit: I bet this mechanic you use would be relieved he did not have to mess with getting tires for you.