2012ImpalaPoliceCar

No problem waiting until Monday, and I trust my mechanic and would rather see him get the patronage.

Finding a trusted mechanic is hard to do. I’d be fine giving them my business, even if I could save a few bucks elsewhere.

1 Like

I would take a tow over changing a tire roadside while 80000 pound trucks whiz by.

To: Volvo,
Nice to finish getting to my destination and home and there won’t be any 80000 pound trucks whizzing by if I need the car.

Although it does happen, it is rare to get 2 flats back to back, but I have also seen back to back to back flats, in your case that would mean a tow anyway…

So what are you going to do, ask for 2 or 3 more spares for the just in case possibility’s??
Not being rude, just realistic…

2 Likes

??? I have no idea what that means.

The fear of being hit by a truck or freight train is not shared by everyone. If I were to get a flat tire, I would pull into a parking lot or onto a side street.

There have been a million cars sold during the last ten years without spare tires, those owners manage to drive for three days without a spare tire.

It just amazes me the number of idiots I see changing their flat tire while partially blocking a lane of traffic, even worse when the flat is on the traffic side.
Apparently their rims are worth more than their lives.

1 Like

Just passed one of those idiots today, barely on the shoulder, opening his door into traffic.

1 Like

Volvo,
I would have to take a taxi from the mechanic if I had to tow it. Wouldn’t consider driving on any highways with no spare. As it stands now, I’m not going anywhere tomorrow.

Will you not have to take a taxi if you drive to the mechanic, then have to wait for a day or two to get the tires delivered and mounted?

You are overthinking all of this.

2 Likes

It finally came out that this vehicle needed 4 new tires . He could have gone to a tire shop yesterday and solved this problem . That way he would not have to worry about towing or taxis.

I still say the mechanic would be relieved to not have to mess with getting tires which is probably disruptive to his business schedule .

Actually five new tires in as much as the full size spare is likely 12 years old.

1 Like

Or just use the best of the old tires since it is just a spare…

I have to agree with Volve on the shop really not enjoying mounting and balancing tires, unless they are a slower shop and just like to do tires here and there to keep the skills up, but there is little money to be make with tire sale, the only reason Discount Tire makes any money is due to them selling 100 tires a day, sure volume, but most other shops it is just a reason to get your car in the air and look for brakes, loose suspension parts etc…
Firestones outside purchase mark up is only 16% (when I retired), sometimes it was much less for inhouse tires, when the gross profit/mark up went up in the computer, they were going on sale, the average profit was about 15-20%… So not much money in tire sales, it’s all about getting the tires off and taking a peak…

However, depending on how close you are to the warehouses also depends on how long to get tires, in the Nashville area I got delivery’s 2-3 times a day, but when I worked in KY it was once a day…

Why not discuss this with the guy buying it? What quality tires does he/she want? Or drop the price of the car?

2 Likes

That would be way too easy.

Grand Marquis is hard to understand and does make things difficult . I think what he tried to say was that the neighbor helped him find this vehicle not that he was going to buy it . He has a previous thread asking for help in buying a car.

I’m keeping one of the old tires as a spare for now.
Does it matter that the spare will have a different speed rating than the others?

No, as long as it’s the same size and not used for long distances. How old is it?

You said you trust the shop that you are using so why are you not asking them these questions ?