Spare tire diameter

My spare is 22". Regular is 26". Manual sez if u have front flat, to move good rear tire to front and put spare on rear. Since car is fwd FYI. To save tearing up differential? Does the manufacturer expect owner to swap 2 diff tires frt/back on side of road? Or call tow truck? How far could I drive with a 22/26 combo on drive axle?

Manual sez if u have front flat, to move good rear tire to front and put spare on rear.

Obviously the manufacturer expects you to swap front to rear if needed, it says so in the manual.

What kind of car is this? This is the first I’ve heard of such a setup.

I’m no expert, so this is a wild guess, but I wouldn’t drive more than a mile (at low speed) with the spare on the front.

I wonder if you could find a larger spare tire that matches the regular tires and mounts properly. Of course, it may not fit in the storage space for the current spare tire.

This does sound like an annoying situation, but I guess the smaller spare tire does save a bit of weight and trunk space.

Big GM car. U can get a full size spare but than u have to put up with odd bump up spare cover in trunk. I have seen other fwd cars with mini spares on road. I always assumed their diff was howling in protest.

Typical; storage space and sales take a back seat to safety. Many mini spares are narrower for for space savings but have the same radius and circumference. Take measurements in the spare tire storage area and see it a larger overall diameter tire the same as your car tires, but with the same width as the original spare, can fit .

Mini spares, also called temporary spares, are meant to get you to a repair station. If one were less than 5 miles away, I’d go for it (slowly). Much more than that, and I’d stick it on the back.
Besides, most flats are back there anyway!

I’m so glad my car has a full size spare tire on a regular rim

I’ve also seen cars with full size spares on limited use rims

I remember when a rear mounted spare tire was quite the rage back in the old days through the 1950s, these were called “continental” spare tires. There were also side mounts with a spare tire on each side. One or the other of these arrangements should be brought back today. The side mounts would be ideal for a car that requires one size for the back wheels and another size for the front wheels. Stylists could have a great time designing cars with the side mounts or continental spare tires. My 2014 April issue of Consumer Reports came in the mail today; this is the annual auto issue. When they talk about some of the new features that are available, I think I would rather have the continental spare than voice operated controls.

I’ve never heard of a manual saying this, but I’m not surprised.
Any manufacturer that suggests this should provide two jacks…

Yeah, the…“swap back to front, then put the spare on back” makes me think of doing it on the soft shoulder, on a rainy night, with cars whizzing past at 60 MPH. More than enough incentive to get a full-size rim at the U-Pull-It, then put the best worn tire on it the next time you buy tires.

Or go the other way, ditch the spare entirely for an air compressor, a can of slime, and a AAA membership. Most tires don’t fail catastrophically, and the Slime plus air pump will get you home, the majority of the time. (The rest of the time, there’s AAA.)

@Triedaq: Yes, heard of “Continental spares.” I’d prefer “Tugboat spares,” though: one spare tire mounted to each side door. Saves you from giving/receiving door dings; makes parking simpler! Shoots the aero to hell, but…tough!

Thought it might be awd center diff issue too. But if rear of suv has 1 big/1little tire, the rear diff will not like it and complain before the center diff complains? Yes my car is not awd but I just got too thinking about newer SUVs with spare tire issues. I assume all SUVs have full size temp spares. Might even have non temp full size spares.

Up until the recent RAV redesign, the spares were mounted outside. But, I guess people complained cause the door mount opened side ways which was necessary to carry the spare, so Toyota put them inside with a top hinge door. Consumers are equally to blame for smaller spares when they insist upon things like third row seating in a midsize car then go ahead and complaint because they have no spare or are left with a mini. Remember, when you oooooh and aaaah over all that trunk space them write out a down payment check, you are casting your vote for a mini spare or none at all. you want a car with a practical spare ? Make it part of your shopping list of druthers when you look for a new one. In the mean time, don’t complain because you buy one that way. All you have to do is ASK.

My Honda S2000 owners manual has similar advice, but to the rear since it is a RWD. The car has different width front and rear tire sizes (of the same diameter) and a worm-gear (Torsen) type limited slip differential.

The centering pilot on the front is larger than the rear so while the front wheel will mount on the rear, the rear will not mount on the front and the space-saver spare will ONLY mount on the front. A rear flat means you change the front tire to the spare and then change the rear tire to the front. You must also hope you aren’t carrying much luggage in the trunk 'cause the rear wheel is BIG!

Actually, kind of clever idiot-proofing if you think about it. I’ve seen a Cadillac CTS-V coupe and Chrysler Crossfires with their wide-rear-narrow-fronts rotated so the wide rears are sticking out of the front fenders.

The owners manuals for the cars I have had list the compact spares as being limited to 50 mph and 50 miles. Also, you don’t need two jacks, you change them one at a time.

@‌Mustangman
I am shocked. You have a Honda 2000 with your handle ? :slight_smile:

Continental spare revival isn’t likely. Ambitious CAFE increases make even having a spare tire unlikely. The only way to have a spare tire in a new car is to buy one separately. As time progresses, there won’t be a recess in the trunk for the tire and you wil lose storage room. This brings us back to a continental kit that you could add to your car or truck.

@jtSanders Agree ! But, a full size spare tire could become a no cost option and perhaps it should.
I have no problem with either loosing some internal storage of having a hanger provision on the outside with a reinforce area that can accept a spare tire. Others may want that space or look without a spare tire. Car company CAFE standards could be measured before installation of the spare and it’s up to the customer to choose his option. Run flats or spare tire; inside or out, even minis if they choose. Personally I could sacrifice a little mileage for that safari option on the top of my Venza. :wink: Bring on the CAFE standards. But, like other after market options that I may add to my car that affects mileage after purchase, from using vehicle for towing, even to carrying passengers, to full size spare tires. All, could and should be a no cost option. It’s time has come. I don’t feel it costs car companies much difference to install run flats, cheap minis and, full size spares. Let the customer choose. Heck, all cars come already with set ups for installation of options from audio components to roof racks to you name it. It’s absolutly doable.

I tried to buy some used rims from suv seller but he wanted replacement tires. Ala spare tires or so on. Too much effort on my part. I started looking in boneyards and found some SUV’s with mini spares and some with full size temp spares. Assume it was fwd/awd issues. Our yard has spares for $8 and any steel wheel/tire for $19.

@dagosa, if the continental kit or in-trunk spare are options, they would have to be dealer installed options. That is the only way it wouldn’t count against CAFE. I think you can already buy a rim with an OEM tire mounted, so that option already exists. Someone must do continental kits. But a new, extended bumper or trunk lid recess to accept the wheel would not be cheap.

@jtsanders‌
The difference in our perspective is, you may live in the sedan world where space is at at a preminum. I am exactly thinking of them as dealer installed or after market options. But, as no cost options. Car makers are already providing run flat spares and or, storage for spares. I know you are focusing on the continental kit. I am not. The option is for those who are willing to accept a loss of trunk space or elevated area above the well. No car should be should sold with a spare storage at less then the factor installed car tire diameter.