2012 Veloster - auction vehicle, missing history

Seriously considering purchasing a 2012 Veloster, manual, 78k miles, $6k.

The dealer said she bought the car from an auction and doesn’t know its history. I got a CARFAX report for it showing pretty decent upkeep – regular maintenance, no accidents – but only up until 43k miles. The car’s history from 43k to its current 78k is a mystery to both myself and the dealer.

I’m just confused. What situations could lead to this gap? Should I still consider this car? If so, what advice would you send my way for checking it out? Thanks, everyone!

If the car was maintained by a facility that doesn’t report their data to Carfax, then that would leave an informational void. Or, if the second (or third, or fourth… ) owner chose to not maintain it at all, that would–obviously–leave an informational void.

Tell the dealer that you want to have the car examined by a mechanic of your choice. If the dealer balks at that request, simply move on, and try to find a vehicle with a complete maintenance history.

6 Likes

I guess you have passed on the Spark . And as always have a trusted independent shop look at a used vehicle before you buy it.
The Carfax web site says they only report what is submitted to them . Not all shops do that. People who do their own maintenance don’t report either .

4 Likes

You remembered me!!! Yes, I just responded to that thread. I was less than impressed at the vehicle in person, especially for the price.

Thank you for your input while I car shop! :innocent:

3 Likes

Not necessarily the case. I use CarFax app to track my maintenance, and find it more convenient than keeping it in a spreadsheet, it has reminders and lets me set my own intervals.

I use a 25 cent notebook in the glove box.

I use a chart that I construct on 8.5 x 14 inch paper, turned sideways. It is updated each time I have the vehicle serviced, and it allows me to see–at a glance, on one page–what was done and when it was done. This chart goes into the file folder containing all of my maintenance receipts.

1 Like

My advice when buying a car is to go for one of the following strategies:

1. Buy something that is new enough to have a warranty (either the original factory warranty, or the manufacturer’s Certified Pre-Owned warranty) and has low enough miles that no maintenance was needed other than oil changes. This, of course, specifically excludes any third-party “extended warranty” or “service plan” or similar pseudo-insurance backed by any entity other than the manufacturer itself. Anything this recent, and with such low miles is going to be expensive, and will necessitate a monthly loan payment for most people.
    or
  2. Buy an inexpensive older car, which obviously won’t have a warranty, but it also won’t have a monthly loan payment either.

Personally, I prefer strategy #2. I live in southern Arizona, so cars don’t rust. Therefore, a 15-20 year old car for $1500-2500 is a good buy, and even with maintenance and repairs is a bargain compared to a monthly payment and full-coverage insurance on a financed vehicle.

However, buying this 8 year old Hyundai with 78,000 miles doesn’t conform to either of these strategies. It’s too old to have any manufacturer’s warranty (remember that the 10-year 100,000 powertrain warranty is available only to the original owner) and it’s way to expensive to be considered a disposable car if major repairs are needed. If you’re comfortable spending $6k, then I’d spend 2-3k more and get a newer car with much less miles. Conversely, if you’re comfortable buying something with 78,000 miles, I’d get a much older and cheaper car.

1 Like

Not a very popular car for hyundai because of low sales figures and strange look. Some engine problems were reported with the 2012.

1 Like

Clean title of course. But there are no other veloster’s that fit your bill? This is only one for sale you can find?

1 Like

Actually, I’m going to test drive a 2013 Veloster RE:MIX on Tuesday. This one has a very consistent CARFAX history, clear meticulous maintenance, 80k miles, $6,500. As far as I can tell, zero major issues. The shop mechanic + dealer is local and has shockingly positive reviews on both Facebook and google (4.9 star out of 500+ reviews)

3 Likes

That’s fair. Honestly, I don’t love the look, but for the features and overall reliability I do know of it, it’s my top choice.

Bonus: my engineer boyfriend drives a 2012 Veloster. He knows the car inside and out, loves to do his own maintenance and repairs on it… and is drooling over this new 2013 RE:MIX I’m looking at :grin:

This different 2013 Veloster I’m looking at has had extremely consistent oil changes, as it’s CARFAX report shows, so I’m already more confident in it than the original post’s 2012

3 Likes

That is a MAJOR advantage for you!

3 Likes

Hundreds of thousands of cars have been totaled by insurance companies with water damage from floods and hurricanes. Hard to say if they would be a bad buy, but some buyers have complained of concealed corrosion damage to all of those electronic modules scattered around inside cars these days.

Going to disagree . A salvage title flood vehicle is never a good 'Buy ’ .

6 Likes