2012 Toyota RAV4 - Do I need rear dampers if I am doing front?

When replacing front struts should rear shocks also be replaced? General cost of each? I’m getting quoted $800 for struts and $500 for shocks.
Does that sound right?

I generally replace right/left (either front or rear axle) suspension components in pairs, but not front/back without symptoms.

3 Likes

Agreed, as one just needs to replace either both fronts or both rear if and when symptoms have been pin pointed. For instance, we upgraded the front struts before the rear shocks on the van and yes we’ve had a Rav4 but that was a very long time ago.

agree with George about not being mandatory to change the rear shocks when doing the front struts unless there is a problem with them. but giving the age of your vehicle it might not be a bad idea to replace them.
now as far as cost…
That would depend on the area in which you live.
If a dealer or a local shop is doing the work.
are they using Toyota parts or aftermarket parts?
does it include wheel alignment?

1 Like

Struts and or shocks generally should be changed every 50K to 100K miles on the average vehicle…

And the front price seems a little low, and the rears price seems a little high… lol

Labor for the base model RAV4 is 2.2 for quick struts and 2.8 for basic struts, rear labor is 1.6… Labor times are for both sides…
Struts are generally a lot more then shocks…

That is a bit too general. They shocks and struts generally are still working if they are not leaking. The vehicle may have loosened up with wear so would feel much better with new shocks and struts.

2 Likes

If the struts are worn enough, I’d replace the shocks too. Wear occurs gradually, you might be surprised about the change.

1 Like

I just replaced all four while I was at it to have it done, but I did it myself for under $300 in parts plus about $100 for alignment. That also included the sway bar links.