2012 Honda Accord v6 Terrible Acceleration

Hi,

I bought a new Honda Accord v6. I drove it off the lot with 40 miles on it. The acceleration was fine when I bought it.

It now has over 500 miles on it, and the acceleration is terrible. When I’m at a stop light and the light turns green, it takes forever to get to 40mph unless I floor it. Honda Civics pass me at every light.

What could be the problem?

I’m very concerned.

Take it back, have the service dept person drive with you if needed, they need to fix it. No reason to take our guesses.

That’s exactly what your warranty is for. Take it in. Complain. Let them diagnose it.
Besides, if we make a guess and you do it, you’ll probably void your warranty.

Do you have any warning lights on the dashboard? Is your parking brake off? Obviously you need to bring this into the dealer but just trying to think of the easy things to look for.

A V6 Accord should have very strong acceleration. Something is wrong.

It seems your car has gone into “limp” mode for some reason. Limp is when the computer detects a problem and does not allow the motor to run at full power until the problem is resolved. Take it to the Honda dealer.

This car also uses a throttle by wire system and there could be a problem in the sending and receiving units of that system.

Thanks for the answers, everybody.

@bloody_knuckles: there are no warning lights, and the parking brake is off.

I’m definitely taking it back to the dealer.

@JW852012, make sure you get a receipt for the visit, and that it states exactly what they found, or didn’t find if they are baffled. Don’t leave the dealership without it. If the service adviser won’t do it, ask to speak to the service manager. If the service manager won’t do it, ask to speak to the general manager.

Must be a sample defect. Some little thing likely has failed. Happens w/new cars. The dealship shouldbe more than happy to fix it right up for you, and most likely no charge. That’s the advantage of a new car! I’m jealous!!!

I sell Honda’s for a living and I can tell you the V6 should be a rocket ship… If not you have an issue, and need to get to the dealership ASAP !!

I bought a new Honda Accord v6. I drove it off the lot with 40 miles on it. The acceleration was fine when I bought it.

It now has over 500 miles on it, and the acceleration is terrible. That would be warranty work. In other words, take it to the dealer. Doing anything else could be a bad idea. That is what the warranty if for.

I will only add that if this problem is related to fuel quality it would not be a warranty issue. Bad gas is not as common as portrayed but it does happen.

@JW852012

let us know what happens.