2012 Dodge Avenger - Runs hot - is it the CVT?

My 2012 Dodge Avenger has started to run hot (temperature on dash is just above the middle mark), This started happening a few months ago when I was driving over a mountain pass (Cajon Pass). My mechanic said this is normal for a CVT type, and he said just to avoid a mountain pass and turn on the heater whenever the car runs hot… Will I have to replace my transmission? My car has 100,000 miles.

I respectfully suggest that you look for a new mechanic.

Only someone who can examine the transmission first-hand could tell you that.
I suggest that, if you have transmission concerns, you should go to an independent trans shop–NOT to a chain-run joint like Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or–the worst of the lot–AAMCO.

However, even if you do have a transmission issue, it is very unlikely to have any connection with the engine running hot.

1 Like

Depending on how many more miles you intend to keep the car, sure you may need to replace the transmission or (insert names of many other parts here). You will decrease the chances of that by having the transmission serviced every 3 years or 36,000 miles.

1 Like

To avoid big repair bills,I suggest you replace this vehicule before its too late.Nissan CVT are the worst.

Yes, they are, but I wasn’t aware that the Dodge Avenger has a Nissan transmission.
Are you sure about that?

1 Like

This Dodge Avenger has a conventional automatic transmission.

Check the coolant level to see if it is low. Inspect the front of the radiator for debris.

Oops! we are talking about a Dodge. Don’t know if Dodge has problems with the CVT

I would have to second what VDC and Old Mopar guy had to say.

The two issues would be unrelated to each other. Treat them as separate entities. Check your coolant level and be sure you do not have any leaks… The Oil cooler assy on your engine is a known culprit to leak coolant. It is located in the V of your V6 and underneath the intake manifold. Very common failure on this exact vehicle, in fact I just replaced one on the same vehicle last month. Look up “oil cooler failure” in regard to your year, make and model on the net…you should find plenty to scare you. The telltale is obvious coolant level dropping…leaks on the ground…and most common…leaking into the V of the engine…look down with a flashlight right where your oil filter housing is located… the cooler IS that entire housing… it has engine oil and coolant running thru it at all times…including a few sensors as well. If it is leaking coolant (most likely it is) you need to replace it before you cause damage to your engine.

In regard to the transmission… You did not actually list any complaint about your trans. If you are worried about the trans based solely on this “mechanics” assessment then please disregard any issues related to the trans…in fact disregard anything this “mechanic” told you… He is out to lunch upstairs if you know what I mean.

1 Like

:astonished:

Then the OP’s mechanic is even more incompetent than I had thought.
:thinking:

1 Like

Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass and Patriot have Jatco CVT transmissions.

1 Like