2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Take out thermostat?

Hello I reside in Africa Nigeria to be precise “is it advisable to take out my thermostat due to the type of temperature we have here …quite hot when it’s sunny…

No, the thermostat gets the engine to the correct operating temperature. Just make sure you change the coolant at specified intervals with the specified coolant.
I live in Florida, common daytime temperatures around 35-37 degrees Celsius, have live in California desert, temperatures often >38 degrees, always used a thermostat.

6 Likes

Purebred has covered the subject well. If your vehicle is running hot or overheating you might need to replace the thermostat but that’s not the same thing as removing it. A properly functioning thermostat allows your engine to reach the correct temperature for operating efficiently as quickly as possible. Without a thermostat in place the engine will take longer to warm up and burn more fuel and produce more pollution. Here in the USA we have a saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Removing the thermostat is a solution in search of a problem.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch…this is highly appreciated