2012 Chevrolet Cruze clutch freezes when temperatures drop

when the temp drops below frizzing the clutch freezes.

Assuming that the clutch is hydraulically-operated, it is possible that the clutch master cylinder (and its fluid) is contaminated with water. That could explain the “frizzing” problem.

3 Likes

Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that the fluid will absorb moisture. You need to drain, fill and bleed the entire system (an easy 2-man job, I believe) and add fluid from a just-opened new can of fluid.

… which, of course, leads to the obvious question of whether the OP has flushed his brake fluid every 3 years or so.
:thinking:

Being unable to move because of water in the clutch fluid can be annoying and inconvenient.

Being unable to stop your car because of water in the brake fluid can be… fatal.

All true, but has anyone here seen either brakes or clutch hydraulics freeze up from failure to change the fluid? Corrosion yes, but freezing?

How does it freeze? Does it remain engaged even when you step on the pedal or does the car not move when you release the pedal?

No, I haven’t seen it, but I am at a loss as to how else to explain the effect of “frizzing” weather on the clutch.