2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe - how do I get help from the manufacturer?

Clean retail for a premium trim 2012 CTS Coupe with 70k miles in mid-late 2018 would’ve been around $17k-assuming it has nav. Either you were upside down on a trade, you have pretty terrible credit or they took you to the cleaners.

On a brand new product perhaps, on a used car, your warranty is for 3 months and/or 3000 miles. You are beyond that twice over. You had a “stated warranty” that supersedes any “implied” warranty you think you may have. I’m sure you were offered an extended warranty as well.

You mean the unspoken and unwritten warranty? How do you plan to enforce that exactly?

They may be willing to help you out, but it would because they chose to do so, not because of some implied warranty BS.

You’re in no position be making demands

Even when you threaten them with the wrath of your implied warranty? Shocking.

6 Likes

Ultimately the facts are simple here. Your car is broken. The warranty offered by GM has expired. The responsibility and cost of repairs are yours to bear.

You can ask for some goodwill help from GM or the dealer who sold you the used car, but anything you receive will be by their good graces and not because anyone owes you anything. Getting a lawyer may make you enough of a nuisance to them that they will then seek the cheapest way to get rid of you.

2 Likes

Have you checked w/a dealership if there any recalls or customer interest bulletins for this problem? Which engine do you have, the v6 or the v8? You might be able to check for recalls using the vin# and Cadillac’s website. About who’s responsible for the diagnosis and repair, don’t know. Me, I’d tend to focus on how to get it working again, so I’d have the car to drive, and figure out who’s responsible (if anyone) later.

Spouting your erroneously understood legalese at us won’t get you a new engine, I don’t think it will get you a new one from GM either but at least they have one. If you were asking the best way for YOU to fix it, that would be a question for this forum, but You are asking how to make GM fix it and asking a bunch of DIYers and mechanics a legal question is almost as dumb as arguing with them abut it.

As I heard my mechanic tell one customer years ago, “Don’t holler at me about your car, I didn’t build it, I didn’t buy it and I didn’t break it. I’m just the guy that’s trying to fix it!”

5 Likes

Some of us are familiar with “goodwill” repairs which is a reasonable route to pursue but the OP doesn’t want to bring the vehicle to the dealer and seems to expect a new car out of the deal.

I have performed goodwill repairs on vehicles with over 100,000 miles but much depends on the customers relationship with the dealer and the owners attitude.

7 Likes

One can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

2 Likes

Now aren’t you glad you paid your GM certified mechanic the $150.00 to thoroughly check out this Cadillac?

I saw the APR of 16.99 that the OP has . Actually surprised a bank would take that loan . The dealer is most likely wanting to avoid any more business because they will have to low ball the vehicle trade in. Then getting a new loan with the left over amount is going to be difficult.
Not going to guess what this persons FICO score is but it can’t be good.

… and those repairs are completely at the discretion of the manufacturer or the dealership.
If they are approached in a reasonable manner, it might be possible to obtain “goodwill” assistance, but if they are approached in an overly aggressive, confrontational manner, the possible “goodwill” assistance will likely be eliminated from consideration.

How–exactly–has the OP approached the manufacturer and the dealership with his problem?
:thinking:

1 Like

16.99 % and he overpaid for the car besides, no wonder he has so much anger. I have never wanted any car bad enough to overpay for it or bought a car I could not afford. I have bought at least 8 cars under $400 when I did not have hardly any money and they all got me anyplace I wanted to go.

the 3.6 ohc motor seems touchy. funny that our 2016 equinox with warranty has a valve train noise that the dealer says is normal. until the warranty expires than it will not be normal. a pushrod motor with nice heads and 30 less hp would be fine. no bleeping variable cam phasers to screw up

1 Like

Implied warranty only means that the engine has to run. It did run for 7 months so that’s a non-issue.

The dealer gave you a 3 months warranty so you’re 4 months out of luck. And you willingly signed a 16+ % car note on an overpriced car. Ouch…

A cut and paste below…

Blockquote

California Car Buyer’s Bill of Rights

The Car Buyer’s Bill of Rights impacts the purchase of new and used cars handled by a licensed dealer.

For used car buyers only:

Option to Cancel – The buyer may purchase a 2-day sales contract cancellation option (option to cancel) from the dealer.

Certified Used Cars – Vehicles advertised as “certified used cars” must meet specific requirem

Just to chime in again, I have always had good credit but back in the 80’s I needed a car and the best I could get was 18% from the bank. After two years the rates came down a little so I went down to refinance. The VP said why bother, you’ve just been paying interest for two years and now you are working on the principle. I kept that dang car for 20 years and 500,000 miles trying to get my money out of it. Plus three engines. Point is at that interest rate, it is near impossible to get your head above water without just sticking with the payments and fixing it as you have to. My sympathies to anyone in that situation. Of course today it should be closer to 2-3%.

I am curious to know what is really wrong with the engine. Did a connecting rod break? If it were my car, I would be tempted to pay to have the pan removed to see what might have happened.
Failures in engines follow a distribution called the negative exponentially distribution. For a large number of engines, a higher number of failures is expected in a short period of time after the engine is put in service. As the time period increases, the number of failures rapidly decreases until the expected service life of the engine is completed. In the old days, the warranty on a new car was 90 days or 4000 miles, whichever came first. I remember in 1963 Chrysler extended the power train warranty to 5 years or 50,000 miles on its products. It really didn’t cost Chrysler much to extend this warranty from 90 days or 4000 miles, because most failures would have occurred within the 90 day/4000 mile period.
If the OP’s Cadillac was properly maintained, I guess the OP was just unlucky. I remember picking up my parents’ car at the DeSoto/Plymouth dealer where they did business. The head mechanic was also the service manager. He said he wanted to show me something interesting. They had pulled the V8 engine from an almost new 1958 Plymouth wagon. The engine was turned upside down with the pan removed. The crankshaft had broken. The car was just out of the warranty period. I think the car had been driven into the shop but obviously running poorly. The car didn’t belong to my parents fortunately. The mechanic told me it was a defective crankshaft from the beginning, but should have failed in the warranty period. The point is that, while rare, some defects don’t show up in the warranty period.

3 Likes

Triedaq, I enjoy your informative anecdotes and am amazed by your long term memory, so detailed.
You got me rethinking my view on warranties.

How are you at short term memory? Mine misfires sometimes. I do much better with long term.

My son jokingly asks me (and then supplies the answer),
"Do you suffer from short term memory loss?"
"I don’t know. I can’t remember."

CSA

@common_sense_answer. My short term memory? When I go to Walmart, I can never remember where I parked the car, even if I am only in the store for five minutes. Ninety percent of the time I can’t remember what I went to the store to buy.

3 Likes

Heh heh heh. I always have a list when I go to the store and I have pretty much a list for everything else-where did I put those lists? In addition, an old architect taught me to put a check box (but I use a circle) by each item so it can be checked off. Yep that’s what I do. So if I’m in the store and want to know what I have left to get, I look at what has been checked off. No big deal though if I have to make a second trip as a clean-up operation. Even when I go to the drive through I usually have a list because it’s kinda like stage fright when you get to the speaker and have to tell them why you are there. The alternative of course to getting old is not so attractive.

1 Like

I have clear and detailed childhood memories going back as far as an age I won’t tell you because it is unbelievable But I can get up out of my recliner and walk to our front room and not be able to remember what I went to get…until I go back and sit in my recliner. And yet, I still don’t write things down because I am always SURE I am going to remember them… Despite all evidence to the contrary. I guess I forget that I am going to forget.

3 Likes

Don’t feel like The Lone Ranger. You could be describing me.
Now, what was I writing about?

I think some of it could be that I can finally fully relax, being retired. In Florida for the winter season, I jokingly say that I’m on vacation from being retired.
CSA

This sounds so fem a vu. I to am a graduate from the school of hard knocks. First car I bought never made it home from the user car lot.the one I now own went south 15 days after the warranty expired. But through all those 58 years of ownership I learned to get them fixed or mostly fix them myself. In the case of the bad Cadillac engine menu it can be fixed . Take the oil pan off and see what it is. A broken for is fairly easy to replace unless there is undesirable damage to the block from the broken rod. Camshaft? Timing gear? Whatever. Some things are fixable for less than $500. Go to a few smaller garages in the vicinity and ask around. An additional under $6-700 could be doable. Next would be a user (recycled) engine . You overpaid for this car already so lesson learned. Two most important things to help an engine live long are oil and filter changes. Did you see any history about maintenance before you bought it? Soap water and polish do not make a car run. We don’t have to drive it. We can park it out in back and ~have a party in my PINK CADILLAC😎. Someone has to remember that song. Good luck.