2011 Toyota Prius squeaks

My recently purchased (so used) 2011 Prius is making a squeaking noise that sounds like it is coming from the rear. My first thought was brakes, but happens while driving, not when applying the brakes, so maybe wheel bearings (I can also hear a slight swishing/maybe grinding noise that sounds in time with wheel revolution) or brakes are sticking. This is my first hybrid so just reaching out to see if there are any concerns specific to hybrids.

Nope, not really. A hybrid is just a car with TWO means of propulsion (electric motor and gas engine) and TWO means of storing energy (gas tank and a battery) and a few more computers than regular cars. The mechanical stuff that squeaks is pretty much the same.

If you recently purchased it, did it come with a warranty of any kind? If so, take it back to the place you bought it from and tell them what you told us.

If you recently purchased it, did you have your mechanic look it over before you bought it? If not, why not?

If you have no warranty, take it to your mechanic now and tell them what you told us, unless, of course, you are going to fix it yourself. If you are, jack up the rear, pull the rear wheel and inspect the brakes and feel the wheel bearings for play and roughness - tell us what you find and we’ll go from there.

Thanks for your reply. We did have a warranty, but it was 3months and we’ve had the car for about 6 now. No issues when we bought it, but most likely original tires, brakes, etc., so based on the response I’m probably looking at something like that. Just wanted to see if I should be worried about anything with the hybrid parts. Sound like probably not. And that sounds like good news to me. Thanks again.