2011 Odyssey vs 2011 Sienna

Which one is more reliable and cheaper to maintain in the long run.
2011 Odyssey with 70000 miles, or 2011 sienna (v6) with 120000 miles.

this is a completely loaded question, and there is no way to get an accurate assessment on this online.

These vehicles are 13 years old, and are of unknown maintenance history. They could be impeccable, or they could be about to fall apart before you get home from purchase.
Best way to know is to pay for and get a pre-purchase inspection done by a trusted mechanic (on each vehicle if need be,) and go from there.

https://repairpal.com/2011-toyota-sienna/problems

https://repairpal.com/2011-honda-odyssey/problems

3 Likes

+1 to eddo’s comments.

Even though the Sienna has more miles on the odometer, it could have been much better-maintained than the Odyssey. Without maintenance records–and from afar–nobody could give you a good assessment.

Definitely, a pre-purchase inspection by your own mechanic is needed.

2 Likes

They’re both good, so it comes down to condition. Pick the one you like the most and pay for an inspection by a trusted shop.

2 Likes

How well were they maintained?

The Honda has a timing belt and a 2011 would be a bit overdue for a new one… so $1000 service right there unless you have a copy of the service record in your hand.

The Sienna has a timing chain so no periodic maintenance.

2 Likes

Both have been maintained very well and have been serviced on time. I will get a mechanic to take look at both. Regarding the odyssey, the belt has been changed at 34k miles.

34k miles? That seems very early. Do you know why it was replaced then? I can’t image that is normal, but if it is, then it is due right now for timing belt swap #2…

1 Like

The Odyssey seems like the better of two pretty good options. One problem w/the Honda, Honda’s seem to be a preferred target of thieves who steal catalytic converters. So if you live in a area where that sort of theft is rampant and you have to park your cars on the street, that might be enough to tilt the decision to the Toyota. If either of these is manual-trans equipped, that is the one I’d choose myself, but I expect both are automatics.

I don’t think there has been a manual trans equipped minivan in the US for over 30 years.

2 Likes

Sienna. Not even close in my opinion.

Timing belt replacement is based in both mileage and age. The rule for the Honda V6 is 105,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. If the timing belt was replaced 6 years ago, it is due next year no matter how many miles were put on in between 34,000 and now, unless it’s 105,000 or more.

3 Likes

My vote, for what it’s free cost is worth, Toyota Sienna for the win…

Provided BOTH of the vans pass a thorough paid-for inspection . . . by a mechanic/shop who has absolutely nothing to do with the seller . . . I’d go for the Toyota Sienna, because it has the 2GR-FE engine, which doesn’t have a timing belt

120K miles is totally normal . . . that engine still has a long life ahead of it, provided you maintain it well and do everything when it’s due

And do NOT listen to anybody who says the automatic transmissions have “life-long” fluid . . . there’s no such thing

Change the fluid and filters every 30K . . . ignore this at your peril

2 Likes

Did you mean it does have a timing chain…

1 Like

Yeah, I just changed it . . .

2 Likes

I owned a 2011 Toyota Sienna. I sold it to our son who needed a better vehicle. That Sienna has gone over 200,000 miles with no major repairs. The engine runs well and does not use oil. The transmission shifts just fine.
I replace the 2011 Sienna with a 3017 Sienna. It has been reliable.
I need a minivan because I frequently transport my fellow musicians with their instruments.
I can only talk about my experiences with Siennas. I didn’t consider the Honda minivan when I was in the market.

1 Like

To heck with the van, I want to know where you got your time machine! :wink:

7 Likes

Hot tub store?

1 Like

@Mustangman Time is relative. The top Sienna speed is constant!

3 Likes