2011 Hyundai Tucson intake manifold

My car has about 85,000 miles and recently the check engine light came on and stayed on. I took the car to my local mechanic who said it was the intake manifold. How common is this problem? This same day I washed my vehicle and noticed a lot of leaves and debris from the tree was around the windshield area. I raised the hood and cleaned the debris off. Could I have caused this problem?

1 Like

No, it is not the leaves. Not sure how common it is as Hyundai didn’t sell all that many of these but since it has the same engine in some Sonata and Santa Fe cars, I will say not that common. Not sure if you have the 2.0 engine or the 2.4L.
Having said all this, I will get a second opinion on this repair. If you are the original owner you might want to check and see if the 100K mile/10yr powertrain warranty will cover it.

Leaking? Missing? Damaged? Expired? Could he not offer a complete statement?

A fault code would be helpful. There have been a higher than normal rate of intake manifold replacements reported for this vehicle.

1 Like

I would have to agree with the responses thus far… What code was thrown? The solution may have nothing or everything to do with the intake… We need more info to be helpful.

There has been a lot of talk about intake manifolds lately… Methinks plastic is not the best material to choose for an intake manifold. Plastic intakes internal “smoothness” is a good thing, also the thermal transfer properties of plastic, as plastic probably stays cooler, but I think that would be the end of the “good things” list. Intakes used to be made of Good Ole Metal… Unless I am mistaken (happens often) the only reason we see plastic intake manifolds nowadays is for cost cutting purposes and maybe packaging, but more so cost I think.

I’m not a huge fan of seeing plastics replacing parts traditionally made of metal under the hoods of vehicles today, but that’s what they are giving us…

There seem to be good plastic intakes and bad plastic intakes. Ones that have problems and ones that don’t, so I won’t over-generalize. I have 2 vehicles with plastic intakes. One is 15 years old now with 134k and it is just fine. It should be heat-cycled to the point of being as brittle as a cracker but isn’t. The other is 6 years and 69K with no issues. Both are on V8’s. Both US car companies.

I don’t know if any of those are factors, just the facts, ma’am!

1 Like

I’d say the plastic intakes are holding up fairly well. I have one on my 14’ yr old Exploder and had to replace the plastic thermostat housing due to coolant leakage but to be fair that wasn’t exactly the intake manifold. It was a part traditionally made of metal however.

I had to replace the intake on a 96’ Mustang with the 4.6 V8, it was leaking coolant from the heater core fittings I think but I kind of forget by this point. There was a new manifold design released at some point to address the issue. Tho I’m not the biggest fan of a plastic part over a metal one I have only been victim to that one actual failure.

In fairness, I’ve never seen any metal intake actually fail in normal use, so this makes plastic manifolds “not as good” in my book. But they are out there in massive numbers these days and my 14 yr old Exploder is still going strong so… Who knows, jury still out I suppose. Plastic manifolds arent exactly failing left and right, but I know if someone asked me which I one I would prefer, my answer would be “metal thank you very much”.

I’ve managed to not really say anything again and used quite a few words doing it… Horaay!

A lot of newer vehicles have plastic oil pans now too. I’m thinking it’s a weight saving and cost cutting measure (the use of plastics).

The original radiator with plastic tanks on my '88 Accord lasted 17 years.
The aftermarket radiator from NAPA with metal tanks lasted 5.
Plastics have come a long way in 50+ years.

Good for you. It’s a good idea to keep that area free of leaves and debris. Otherwise it can get sucked into the HVAC system and cause problems. That’s the main air intake port for the heater and air conditioner. I clean that area with a shop vac as a matter of course on every oil and filter change. As posted above, unlikely to be related to the supposed intake manifold problem though. You can use the forum search feature above right to check for other posts about intake manifold problems, might be informative. We don’t seem to get a lot of complaints about intake manifold problems here (on cars in general, not just Hyundai), and when we do it is usually a leak of some form that is causing a lean mixture and misfires.

Atz right. Cuz plastic’s stronger than the metal.

I have a 2012 Tucson with 116k miles. Just replaced the Intake Manifold. Had a service light and 2 codes - Intake Manifold Performance Bank 1 (P200A) and Evaporator emission leak (P0455). Tried the gas cap fix, no luck. Hoping it was the actuator, no luck. Took it to my trusted mechanic. He said try the gas cap, already did. He did his check and had to replace the manifold completely. I noticed a leak under the engine few days before the light came on. I think this is fairly common these days. My daughter’s VW Jetta had same codes and repair. Anyway, Hyundai coat $1000. VW cost $900 3 years ago. :sob::sob::sob::sob:. Not cheap but cheaper than a dealership.