2011 Hyundai Elantra - Grinding noise

Just purchased my hyundai a few months ago. Theres a problem thats getting much worse. When i go to start theres a horrible grinding like noise! would it be the timing chain or flywheel?

Does this happen while cranking the engine or once the vehicle 1st starts for a few seconds?
When you have someone else starting the vehicle, do you hear the noise from the timing chain side of the engine or the flywheel side of the engine??

If the noise only happens when turning the key and starting, then stops when engine is running then I would say you have a problem with your starter.
Hyundai Elantra Grinding Noise When Starting: Causes + How to Fix | Drivetrain Resource (700r4transmissionhq.com)

If the noise happens after you start the car and is running, then you have a different problem. this year vehicle had problems with their 1.8 NU engines for piston slap. they even extended the vehicle warranty for it. unfortunately, you are a little late.

HMA TSB (nhtsa.gov)

1 Like

If heard only during cranking (key in start), I’m guessing the flywheel/flexplate ring gear is kaput. If lucky, it might just be the starter motor.