2011 Hyundai Elantra electrical issues

Wondering if anyone might have some advice on this…
I changed my clockspring and now I have no high beams, windows won’t go up or down, can’t lock my doors and I have to use the shift lock release to change gears… I changed all the fuses and still nothing. Took it to Hyundai and they told me I should start by getting a new fuse box in the cabin but quoted me $780 for a new one and $180 for labor. I’m just nervous to pay that and it not even be the solution. My radio interior lights and dash lights still work so I don’t see how it could be the fuse box….

Why did you change the clockspring? Was it supposed to fix these things or are they a new problem? IIRC none of those systems go through the clockspring? Did you “preload the clockspring? Check everywhere you touched anything, it sounds like a connector or 2 may have been dislodged.

2 Likes

Sounds like that dealership either doesn’t have a tech any good at electrical troubleshooting, or one that might be swamped at work.
So they randomly throw parts at a problem at customers expense.

Changing a fuse box involves removing a couple smallish bolts and disconnecting a few multi-pin connectors.
About twice the time as to change the cabin air filter, for which the dealer near me charges $90.

I’m guessing something to do w/replacing clock spring. Replacement unit might be faulty or wrong part number for example. Or connector in that area got dislodged. I expect you’re going to have to do at least part of that job again. The problem may be obvious once you disassemble stuff enough are able to see the clock-spring again. Hopefully you have the old clockspring, then you can just re-install that one and see if the other problems are gone. that would provide some good clues.

BTW, it generally isn’t advisable to replace all the fuses if you think a problem is caused by a single one or two. In fact replacing all the fuses could cause problems you didn’t have before.

(That’s not the way I usually do it. I probe the voltages at each tab instead, if one side has 12 volts and fuse is good, so should the other.)

I doubt replacing the fuse box is the best path towards a solution, unless there’s evidence of an overcurrent-problem inside the fuse box.

Did you disconnect the battery before replacing the clockspring?

So the battery was disconnected before changing the clock spring. It was replaced bc my horn airbag and Caruso control did not work. Once it was replaced all those things work now except what was me thing above. Hyundai said the clock spring has the right part number and works. They said they took the clockspring out and put it back in so I’m assuming they would’ve found the issue if it was a disconnected or bent wire? I’m honestly not sure where to go from here.

It depends on the def’n of “works”. “Working” could be defined as doing everything it is supposed to do; but the problem is it may do things it isn’t supposed to do as well.

If I had that problem , and no obvious problem upon visual inspection, my next step would be to remove the replacement clock-spring entirely to see if other problems go away. If they don’t, next step, then I’d put the old clock-spring back in to see of the other problems go away.

Re faulty fuse-box theory: Suggest to ask your shop what evidence they have to cause them to think the fuse box is faulty? Maybe that is in fact the problem, but then they should have a reason they can tell you for them to think so.