2011 Dodge Caliber no acceleration

Hello, I’m writing as I have recently purchased a used 2011 Dodge Caliber. It ran well for three weeks exactly then out of nowhere my engine light comes on. It’s the holiday weekend so I couldn’t take it to a shop. The next day no movement. The car still starts and the lights all come on great. But I can’t get the car to go forward. It does go backwards. I’m not sure but I’m making payments . :cry: I’ve already been lectured.

Does anyone know what this could be? I have around135k miles on it. It does run really good when it’s moving :rofl:

I’m in Ohio, are there any laws that protect a person who doesn’t have a warranty? (The dealer did imply there would be one. As I’m a single mom I was desperate for a running car I could afford so I didn’t really read through. I know I know. ) thanks in advance for any help!

No. All sales of used cars are As-Is unless you have a written warranty in your hand from the dealer. Verbal warranties are worthless. I’d add the Caliber is a car that is pretty short on life at 135K miles and it was a really poor car when new, too.

Without the error codes that caused the check engine light, there is no way for us to know what the problem might be and since it won’t run, you can’t get a free read of those codes from AutoZone or O’Reilly’s.

Also, If it doesn’t go forward, that seems to indicate a transmission problem. Maybe a separate problem from the check engine light.

There is no magic solution to your problem. If you can’t work on the car yourself, it needs to see a professional that can read the code and diagnose the reason it won’t move in drive.

1 Like

My contract states I have 90 days to get written warranty. So I’m going to go there Tuesday morning. I’m going to have the car towed to a shop to have it read.

The disclaimer says “unless seller provides a written warranty, or enters into a service contract within 90 days from the date of this contract, this vehicle is being sold “ AS IS-With all faults”

Does this mean I have time to make the dealer give me a warranty? Or enter into the one implied and put it in writing? I’ve literally had it 3 w 1 d

Doesn’t this model have a CVT, which is known to be problematic?

If I had known that would I be on a forum asking obvious questions? :neutral_face:

I doubt if you can buy a warranty on a broken vehicle and most of those are worthless to start with. Talk to the seller before you have it towed anywhere just in case they want to help you with the repair. Unfortunately when the contract reads 'Sold As Is ’ all repairs are on the buyer .

Dealing with the seller is the best course of action. It might be something, like a shift linkage problem, that they can fix easily. They may or may not charge you for the work. Enlist their decency and empathy. If it’s a big problem on a recently-sold car they may do more than what the contract calls for. You won’t know until you try.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

3 Likes

Sadly, 3 weeks is long enough that the dealer will probably say “too bad, so sad”, but I agree it can’t hurt to ask. Also, it would be useful to know how much was paid for this vehicle, and if it was financed.

1 Like

That is none of our business and has nothing to do with the vehicle problems.

5 Likes

Thank u I will!

I put 2500 down total is 6649

I disagree. Also, if this is a “buy here, pay here” type dealer, they often include GAP insurance and a “vehicle protection plan” since they can roll that into the loan. To be sure, those third-party “extended warranties” are usually worthless, but sometimes they do pay off.

1 Like

You can determine all that just by knowing how much OP paid for the car and whether or no it was financed?

@bcohen2010 asked a good question

You guys slammed him, and then he explained why it was a good question

1 Like

no one is slamming anyone here. I just wonder how someone can determine the contents of a contract based on knowing the selling price or whether or not the car is financed. There must be magic involved or speculation, which mostly leads to wrong conclusions.

First, to address the question in your third paragraph, you need to consult a lawyer local to you. They can answer those questions. As to what’s wrong with the car, from a very long distance, the first thing I’d be looking at is the transmission. It sounds like it may have failed. I’d have it towed to a local, independent shop (not a chain) for a real diagnosis.

3 Likes

Well, the dealer is not going to give you a written warranty on a car that is broke.

And before you buy a service contract, most do not cover pre existing problems, which you now have.

Also a couple other problems with a service contract

1. May not cover the problem you’re having.
  2. May cost more than the cost of repairs needed.
4 Likes