Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

2010MY on Vehicle Emission Control Information

Hello all:

I was looking at the VECI under the hood of my 2010 Honda Odyssey, and saw “Conforms to Regulations: 2010MY”.

We are thinking of relocating to the west coast, and I’m trying to determine if that is a US EPA or California regulation, and how that relates to registering a car in states that reguire California emissions. Thanks!

You will need to check with the state that you will be moving to.

California will allow a federal emissions vehicle to be imported if it is more than 2 years old or if you have a qualifying exemption.

From the California DMV site;

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Thanks Nevada_545. I did a bit more reading…looks like my wife won’t have to give up her beloved Honda afterall.

The exemptions list includes:

Exempt vehicles
The following types of vehicles aren’t required to be certified to California emission standards:

2008 or earlier vehicle models.
Passenger vans and buses with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) greater than 10,000.
Heavy-duty cargo vans and trucks with a GVWR greater than 8,500.
Previously-registered vehicles with more than 7,500 miles at the time of sale.
Vehicles purchased by a nonresident before establishing residency in the state of Washington, regardless of the mileage on the vehicle.