Buying out of state car & take it to California

I am considering buying an Insight from out of town - it says in a corner, re-built.

Would I have any issue at the DMV in California?

Why don’t you ask the California DMV?

You may run into pollution issues. Since this is a Calf DMV question, I suggest asking them what they will want when you go to register it.

I would also read up on how California handles salvage titled cars. There may be extra wickets to go through. To me, “re-built” = salvage title.

Your post is a bit difficult to interpret, but I’ll assume you are a resident of California.

In that case, read this.

I’m considering buying a new 2019 car from a dealer in North Carolina. Buick. Will bring it back to California. Will it pass the smog/ emissions test in California, or will it need to be altered to pass?

A new vehicle must meet California emissions standards, a used vehicle (with a minimum of 7500 miles) does not.

Ask for a picture of the under hood emissions label.

It is not a matter of passing an emissions test, it is a matter of state regulation.

A California resident can not import a new vehicle from another state if it does not meet CA emissions standards (there are some exceptions).

1 Like

What is so special about a ( New as in unsold 2019 ) Buick that you can’t find a vehicle in California .

And another old thread revived from the dead :astonished:

A number of states require new cars to comply with CA emissions. North Carolina isn’t one of them.

If the new car does not have documentation that it meets California regulations, you will not be able to register it. Period.

1 Like

Auto manufacturers don’t like to build several different versions of their cars, and might build all of their cars to meet the most stringent requirements. The label you were directed to by @Nevada_545 has that information.

1 Like

@Nevada_545, link lists these two interesting cases:

• Purchased to replace your California registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
  • Purchased to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.

if @t70.ross_174657 had a CA-registered junker with just enough strength left to get to that NC dealer and die on the doorstep…

1 Like

@t70.ross_174657 Just because there are curious people here how about telling us why you have to get a vehicle so far away ? And is this really a NEW vehicle and what makes it special ?

While in a normal world this might be considered an illegal restriction on commerce, the bottom line is it is not a smart move to buy a car and move it to California. Might be better to move out of California and buy the car and enjoy.

1 Like

The attraction is a combination of things: they don’t make cars anymore; only SUV’s now. I’ll be visiting family near there, and we’ve been talking about doing a long-haul road trip. See America First! (not dated at all). Yes, it’s still new, and only special to those whose questionable judgment leads them to conclude that a long-roof vehicle is likely to be a fun car to drive, if not so fun to park.

Are you saying that you only want a Buick ( another GM brand that might not last ) so you will buy a vehicle that has set on a lot since 2019 ? And just because someone happens to want or a SUV meets their needs they have questionable judgement ?

I guess by 'See America First ’ you don’t realize that the vehicle market is Global and calling a vehicle American made is almost impossible now.

Insight used to be really ugly. Did they make them less ugly as time went on? Maybe it’s a Cali thing. A fashion statement. Who has most hideous car?

Maybe it’s a very attractive price. There should be incentives from GM to move 2019s, plus any dealer with a 2019 should want to discount he1vily to reduce holding costs.

Why has the dealer not made an effort to get a 2019 of of the lot by now.