2010 Ford Escape - high mileage?

Is 186000 miles a lot for 2010 4 cylinder Escape

It may be or it may not be . That is why the standard reply here is to pay a shop to look over any used vehicle you might want to but if that is the reason for your question .

1 Like

It’s higher than average if that’s what you’re asking. The national average is 13,500 miles a year. https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a32880477/average-mileage-per-year/#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20Department%20of%20Transportation’s,over%201000%20miles%20every%20month. For a 10 year old Escape that works out to 135,000 miles. 186,000 is about 51,000 more than average or about twice around the world. Still, it depends on how those miles were accumulated. A good independent mechanic can inspect the vehicle if you choose and tell you what shape it’s in.

Yes, that is a lot of miles on the odometer, which means that you have to be prepared for inevitable repairs, some of which could be very pricey. However, you can improve your odds by inspecting the maintenance records of the vehicle.

For instance, when was the transmission fluid last changed? If the answer is “never”, or “not within the past 3 years”, then with that type of odometer mileage, you will be paying for a transmission overhaul in the near future. This would likely cost $2k, or more.

How often has the oil been changed, in terms of both odometer mileage and elapsed time?
If the previous owner(s) were not conscientious about oil changes, there could be engine problems on the horizon.

And, as was already stated, an inspection by your mechanic can help you to avoid buying something that will explode your wallet with repair costs.

Agreed with all the advice to have a mechanic inspect the vehicle.

You might also get a Carfax for the vehicle. I know some of the information can be limited, but I’ve found you can learn at least something about the vehicle from the Carfax data. For example, if the mileage listed between oil changes is high, you might assume the car was used for commuting. If so, those are “easy” miles on a car.

For what it’s worth, I’ve bought (2) “higher mileage” cars like this, and have had no unusual issues with them. But, I studied the Carfaxes for both cars closely before I decided to purchase.

Good luck.