2010 Chevrolet Equinox - new motor, can’t use the key fob now

We had a new motor put into our 2010 Chevy Equinox LT and the key fob would not work but we could start the car by the key. After driving the car from the mechanic shop back to work I noticed that it had oil all over the motor. The mechanic came a towed the car back to his shop where he said the key itself would not start the car. The Chevrolet place is now saying that they are having a communications problem between the key fob and the computer. Does anyone know what could be wrong with this or may have some ideas what to look at because they say it is going to take a lot of time and be really expensive to fix.

The new motor should have a warranty, the installer should be responsible for errors during installation.

Sorry but there is no way a few folks over the internet can give you a cheap solution for your problem.

I’ll give you an easy solution… ask the dealer how much he’d give you in trade for this piece of junk given that the engine is still under warranty.

The programming for the key fob may have been lost when the battery was disconnected during the repair job. Finding out a solution to the communications problem shouldn’t be a huge issue. Having a tech that understands how to work on these kind of problems efficiently can be a problem. I would be wary of a dealer repair service that tells me that a repair is going to be really expensive to fix. You may want to find a shop that specializes in electrical repairs for fob problem. The engine repair shop should help out with this since they seemed to cause the issue.

The battery was disconnected when the engine was replaced.

https://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_disconnect_problems.htm

Tester