2010 Cadillac SRX shifting trouble early in the day

I have a 2010 Cadillac SRX with 84,300 miles on it. In the mornings when the engine is cold, it seems to have problems shifting. The engine revs up to 4 or 5 on the tach and I can hear a whine sound. If I stop and put it in park and then back in drive ( I usually have to do this twice) it seems to be fine for the rest of the day. The car does have the option for manual shifting called sports mode but I do not use that option. Is it possible that when accelerating, that it puts itself in sports mode?? My son took it to the dealer thinking the transmission was going out and they said they could not duplicate the problem and that they had never seen the transmission go out in that model before 100,000 to 125,000 miles. Yet, everyone in my family that has driven it has experienced the shifting problem. Any suggestions?

How long has it been since the transmission fluid was changed? It should have been done at least once in 84k. For that matter, how long since you checked it? If you’re lucky a fluid change is all it will take but there may be a problem with the shift solenoid or something worse. A good independent transmission shop can diagnose it and tell you more.