2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Battery Caput

My 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid is completely dead. It was used to drive 200 miles in one sitting then after a couple days in the garage it would not turn on. Until now the car has preformed really well, averages 38 mpg in hte summer nad 34 in the winter. Now No lights, no ability to move out of park, nothing. Is this a battery problem, can the battery be jumped? Must it be replaced?

It is likely a battery problem. I don’t know if it can be jumped. You need to find out why the car is dead. I can’t do that from the internet.

Battery jumping for a Hybrid is not for someone who has not done it . It is not as simple as a straight gas vehicle.

The 12 volt battery is located in the trunk. The jump starting procedure is similar to other vehicles and shown on page 385 of the owners manual.

1 Like

This could just be a dead 12V battery. Those are the exact symptoms my hybrid had with a bad 12V battery. How old is it?

There’s two different batteries. The big one that very expensive & makes the electric engine run, and the little one that’s isn’t overly expensive that must be working to crank the gasoline engine to get the car started. On a 2009 I’d expect the problem is the little one. Cross your fingers, and take it to the shop for testing.

George, that’s backwards. The big battery starts the engine, the 12v powers the electrical accessories. But when it’s dead the computer doesn’t work, so no start. And jumping didn’t work on mine, only a new battery.

+1 to @Nevada_545 suggesting to RTFM, it is all described there :slight_smile:

yes, 12-volt battery going dead completely fits the symptoms, moreover these batteries last very long time on hybrids and owners often do not even know about their presence, until “total meltdown” event

AdvanceAutoParts and AutoZone both carry these batteries, much cheaper than dealer, replace and live happily ever after… for another 7-8 years

it is important to note how you start the car up after the dead battery is replaced, you MUST use the procedure for “keyfob battery is dead”, which is on that Toyota generation insludes inserting kefob (even if battery on it works) into the slot next to the dash, if you do not do that, your hybrid control system may enter the fail-safe mode (or may not, feeling lucky?) and you will have to go into reset procedure. reset procedure on Prius is to place shifter into N and hold it there, then try starting the car, not sure how reset owrks on Camry
– addition –
ah, and expect your MPG to improve after that replacement :slight_smile:
people on forums report that.
I did not believe it until my Prius 12V battery died (not completely, it became extremely weak and would not get the car going time to time).
I measured what was going on, while charging it, voltage swinged violently from 11.9 at rest to 15.5 under 1 Amp charge.
My guess is that since gas engine control system goes from 12V, it messed with proepr gas engine operations.
Upon battery replacement, not only MPG improved, but gas engine operates substantially smoother

1 Like