2009 Nissan Murano - Slowed, smoked, stopped

My 2009 Murano started losing accelaration when traveling at 55mph, in fact it later began to decrease speed at 35mph. Smoke was comming out from the bottom of the car covering the car on all sides. Eventually the car stopped running.

The ECM may have detected a problem, such as low oil pressure, overheating, transmission glitch, etc, and put the engine in “limp mode”. Limits the max speed to 35 mph or so. Done to help protect the driver and the drivetrain. Smoke from under the car … hmmm … could be an oil leak that was contacting the exhaust system.

When that sort of thing occurs the ECM will usually store some diagnostic codes which provide a clue to the cause. Ask your shop to read the diagnostics codes. You can post them here, might get some ideas. That’s where to start.

1 Like

Start shopping for a new vehicle, you killed this one.

9 Likes

Was the car overheating? Were any warning lights on? What is your coolant level and oil level right now?

1 Like

Are you sure that you saw smoke, or is it possible that it could have been steam?

I think that lion9car is looking at this from the same perspective that I am, so as he asked, we all need to know…

2 Likes

Does it really mater at this point :question: The OP kept driving it until it would run no more. It’s cooked.

2 Likes

I think trans is more suspect then motor.
I think cvt trans just stop working?
With no smoke shows?

1 Like

It’s too big to use as a paperweight.

Wild guessing with scant info, this sounds like either a lack of oil or lack of coolant/severe overheating situation and it seized up.

Traveling at 55 when it began and “later began to decrease” means the car should have been pulled over and stopped before getting to later. (Later not defined…)
Continued operation can turn a minor hiccup into a very serious and expensive problem.

2 Likes

My hunch is transmission burnt up: belt slipped, frayed, overheated, smoked…

2 Likes

Yes, that… or the car ran out of oil, or it ran out of coolant, or… ?
Until the OP returns to respond to our questions, none of can know with much assurance.

2 Likes

Aliens did it to it. :rofl:

2 Likes

Murano’s were known to have weak transmissions (cvt). Since we are guessing, I’m going to guess whatever there is to slip inside a CVT transmission started to slip, causing car to slow down and heat to build inside transmission to the point that the trans fluid boiled out of the overflow creating a smoke screen that would make James Bond jealous. But, I could be wrong.

I’d recommend getting it out of the road, then checking all of the fluids to get an idea of what happened.

1 Like

Maybe trans but usually when you see smoke (steam) pouring from all sides of the car and underneath, it is a bad coolant leak. Now some cars will shut down at higher engine temp to avoid damage. GM of that vintage does but don’t know if Nissan does. Still first thing is ya tow it in to a shop for a report.

1 Like