2009 Hyundai Elantra - Why does car lose presets?

Every few weeks my car loses the saved radio stations I have on it. It’s like the battery got disconnected although it didn’t. It has done this randomly for years even with the previous battery. I bought the car brand new from the dealer. The battery is fairly new (less than 2 years) so not sure what else it might be. Any advice is appreciated.

It may be an intermittent battery connection, but you would also have occasional starting problems. Check the battery connections for corrosion. It might also be an intermittent power connection at the radio.

Thanks, the other day the car wouldn’t start at all so I ended up charging battery but issue later returned so I replaced the battery. Turns out I still had the original battery installed in it (11 years). I haven’t had the issue return but it seems like it may have been the battery slowly dying.

I begin testing my battery after 6 years, and I replace them at the first sign of weakness, rather than waiting until problems arise. Frankly, I am amazed that you were able to get 11 years from the original battery.

Auto parts stores (Autozone, Advance, NAPA, O’Reilly, etc) will check your battery free-of-charge, so there is no reason to avoid testing after a few years.

Yes, I couldn’t believe it was the original either until I took it out and saw the Hyundai sticker on it and the rusty bolt that holds it in place (which I would’ve remembered loosening). I used the car pretty much every day for 11 years but recently purchased a 2016 Elantra (great car by the way) so the 2009 has been sitting in my driveway which must’ve put the battery over the edge.

Use something like this.You plug it in your cigarette lighter and it will monitor your charging system in real time.Got mine at walmart for cheap.

Thanks good to know !