2008 Toyota Matrix - 4 mo old battery, car DEAD this morning

Victoria. I understand your situation. I once went on a business trip and parked my car at the airport for an early morning flight. I had to turn on the dome light to get all my stuff out of the car, and inadvertently left it on.

This did not occur to me until I was ready to check in that I had not turned it off… I called my wife to ask her to drive to the airport and turn it off. Luckily we had 2 sets of keys for that car.

Wife was not pleased, needless to say. On a Pontiac like I had there was no warning buzz to warn that the light was left on. And it takes about a day (24 hrs) to drain the battery. My trip was for 3 days.

You are right to suspect that you may have other parasitic losses. An important one could be the trunk light operated by a mercury switch that turns it on when the lid is raised. We had a gentleman with a Lincoln who parked on a steep driveway and kept losing his battery charge. When he parked the car in the opposite direction it battery stayed charged. It took the mechanics a while to figure that one out.

I too left the dome light on at the airport. In my effort to gather my stuff I dropped the keys on the floor, turned on the dome light, searched, and found the key and forgot to turn off the light. The battery was DEAD. Triple A came and jumped the car and the guy told me to check the dome light because he starts cars all day at the airport and it’s mostly dome lights and glove box lights that people in a hurry leave on.