2008 Scion drifting backwards on inclines

I am having a drifting backwards problem with my Scion 2008 xb. If I accept that all the newer cars are dropping back on inclines due to the trans not having as much drag - should it not at least be consistant? My cars automatic is one that is a combined transmission in that I can go into a semi manual mode if needed. My car will drop back sometimes only an inch or two on what I think is a small incline (20 degrees or so} and sometimes as much as a full car length (same incline) if I don’t put on the brake. The dealer says the ones on the lot that the service manager drove drop back about 2 feet (which I think is very dangerous because you will hit the guy behind you…} _ Is there any safety agency that cares about this kind of thing??? I never thought about driving it on inclines when I test drove it because no one bothered to tell me the newer cars are actually less user friendly on inclines than the older ones or more expensive ones.

Why would any safety agency care about this when there’s already a safety feature that protects against rolling downhill? There’s a brake lever right between the seats, which is meant to be pulled when stopped on a hill. Said lever is meant to be pulled until the propulsion can overcome gravity.

The BRAKES will prevent the car from drifting backwards on an incline. Try putting you foot on the brake pedal.

I will add that most automatic transmissions are now like this, in the interest of better fuel efficiency. Everything is a trade-off, you might say.

Also, if you are in the habit of trying to “hold” the car on an incline by pressing the gas pedal just enough to keep it from rolling back, you are going to damage your transmission. As others have said, use the brake (either the service brake or the e-brake) to hold your vehicle in place while on an incline.

I had to read the OP’s question twice to understand it. It never occurred to me that someone would be stopped with a car in drive without their foot on the brake (incline or not).

Adapt…

The proper method is to leave your foot on the brake pedal and then switch over the gas pedal when you take off.

chuncky,mcparadise,Joe,andrew - I AM taling about when you move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal and I am NOT taking a long time to do this in case that is your next thought…since all cars and trucks that I have driven my entire life were OLDER cars that didn’t act like this I got spoiled -If I had wanted to drive like I was driving a manual trans I would have bought a manual trans. Thanks for all your time, understanding and kind comments. VDC - I know you are correct in the newer transmissions being like this and I would probably have adjusted easier if it would just be consistant - I was just hoping that someone on the site would know if there was an adjustment or anyone that really gave a hoot about fuel efficiency versus ease of driving. Thank you for your answer.

Can’t you just use your left foot?

f I don’t put on the brake.

Guess what the parking brake is used for??..PARKING.

It’s designed to stop exactly what you’re seeing. So why do you NOT use it???

You should ALWAYS use the parking brake when parked.

When I was trained to drive a bus with an automatic transmission, I was taught to set the parking brake on a hill. Then add power until the propulsion takes over. That’s what people are required to do in Europe in any vehicle. It is not about driving an automatic like a manual. It is about driving a vehicle properly.

I believe some cars transmissions have a ‘hill holding’ feature that you speak of.
Yours may be one. Check your manual,or another dealer.