2008 Lexus LS460 Timing Belt/Chain Replacement

Does 2008 LS460 have a timing belt or chain? How ofter should it be replaced?

Chances are it has a chain and no service or replacement is required…You can check the Gates timing belt catalog online and see if a belt is listed for your model. If not, it has a chain…

Gates lists no timing belt, so it probably has a chain, which has no scheduled replacement. What does your owners manual say?

If it has a chain, there usually isn’t any set schedule to replace it. Other than if symptoms develop. Often timing chains last the life of the car as long as the proper lube and maintenance scheduled is followed.

Timing chains don’t last the life of the vehicle.

If they did, then why would parts stores sell replacement timing chains?

Your engine has more than just a timing chain. It also has plastic chain tensioners and guides.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1817454&cc=1441931

It’s when these tensioners and guides wear out is when the timing chain can jump time. And just as with a timing belt, damage to the valves can occur.

If I had an engine with this timing chain set-up, I’d replace the timing chain set every 150,000 miles.

I just sent a 2002 Infinity QX4 with just short of 200,00 miles to the junk yard because the chain guides failed and took out the valves.

The owner couldn’t afford the cost of fixing or replacing the engine. And they’re not giving these engines away!

Tester

I’d say that Infiniti chain did last the life of the engine. ;-]

(Reminds me that the correct answer to the question, “Have you lived here your whole life?” is, “Not yet.”)

They sell timing chains become some fail. I bet most of those are because of poor maintenance (oil changes). I bet that most cars meet their maker with their original timing chain.

Texases is correct; chain issues are generally due to a lax oil change regimen.

If I see an engine with a worn timing chain and guides then I’d reasonably assume the rest of the engine is not in tip-top shape either.

The chain guide rails are often made of plastic

They do wear out, even if you maintain the car well

@ok4450‌

I maintained this vehicle since the owner bought it used with 35,000 miles on it. And believe me, this vehicle was well maintained in the mean time.

But when the vehicle reached the 150,000 mile mark, I started recommending a timing chain set replacement. But since there was no recommended service interval for the timing chain, the owner of the vehicle didn’t want to even look into it.

That was until it was on the hook to the shop.

This vehicle was in excellent condition for the year.

Too bad:(

Tester

It’s going to be hard selling a $2,000 timing chain job as maintenance. I haven’t seen any chain or guide problems on late model Toyota 6 or 8 cylinder engines.

That guy that declines the chain upsell, and then a few months later, his motor bites the dust . . . is going to be crying “Why did the manufacturer make such a lousy product? It’s a conspiracy . . .”

Heh heh heh

Timing belt, timing chain, something’s got to turn the camshafts and either one will do. People rail against one or the other but the fact is sometimes cars break and you have to fix them.

I’ve seen timing chains fail at 60,000 miles and ruin a cylinder head. A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of doing a timing chain job on a DOHC Lincoln. Car was well maintained, oil changed on schedule every 5,000 miles. And yet at 140,000 miles it had a broken chain guide. If I recall that job cost close to $2400.

They’re all moving parts, they’re all going to wear out.

I’ve had a timing chain failure…and it had NOTHING to do with maintenance. The engine was maintained meticulously. Truck had a little over 200k miles. Luckily it wasn’t an interference engine so I just put on a new chain and kept driving.

My 4runner now has over 260k miles with the original timing chain…so far so good. No rattling warning signs yet. This is an interference engine so when it starts making noise I’ll be either changing the chain selling the 4runner quickly.

Back to the OP’s question:
It has a timing chain, so no periodic maintenance. If a repair is needed (if the chain stretches, becoming noisy, or if the guides wear or fail), do it, or you’ll could have major problems if the chain/guide/whatever fails.