2008 Hyundai Elantra, Gas Tank Question

I have what may be a strange question. I have a 2008 Hyundai Elantra, which I love. However, it seems that whenever I go to get gas, at certain stations, the pump will click off shortly after the attendant puts the nozzle in the tank, and he has to adjust it just so, or in some cases turn the nozzle upside down to get the pump to stay on. I live in NJ, where gas stations are full serve only. My theory is that it had something to do with the filler neck, but I’m not sure if that explains why it only happens at certain gas stations, and not all the time.

Sorry, hit the post button before I was done. Just wondering if anybody else has this problem.

If it only happens at some stations, it is most likely the station. If it was the filler neck it would happen at all the stations.

What’s So Different About New Jersey That They Won’t Let You Fuel Your Own Car ?
I Suppose They Make You Have The Car Annually Inspected Just To Register It, Too.

It could be that somebody overfilled it and saturated the fuel venting system causing your problem. Don’t let the attendants squeeze every last drop in while topping off the tank. I’d leave it a ltttle lower than full for a while.

CSA

NJ does not have self serve gas stations by law. It was passed years ago as a employment program for the young or the unskilled.

“What’s So Different About New Jersey That They Won’t Let You Fuel Your Own Car ?
I Suppose They Make You Have The Car Annually Inspected Just To Register It, Too.”

“NJ does not have self serve gas stations by law. It was passed years ago as a employment program for the young or the unskilled.”

That “no self-serve” regulation (which also exists in Oregon) dates back about 70 years, and it was instituted at the request of the lobby representing gas station owners in the state. Supposedly, it was enacted as a result of a few “accidents” that resulted in lots of damage. Regardless of the regulation, I fill my own tank, and I have yet to be challenged by any gas station attendants.

As to inspections, those are gone in NJ, at the behest of our chief executive, Governor Lardass. Not even privately-run inspections of brakes, tires, headlights, etc are required anymore. All that still exists is an emissions check that takes place 5 years after the date of sale of a new car, and then every 2 or 3 years (I don’t recall the specific details) thereafter.

" It could be that somebody overfilled it and saturated the fuel venting system causing your problem. Don’t let the attendants squeeze every last drop in while topping off the tank. I’d leave it a ltttle lower than full for a while. "

That would be my guess.