2008 Honda Civic Sdn - Brake tap or cancel

My husband and I have a disagreement about how to disengage the cruise control on our cars. He taps the brakes. I press the cancel button which doesn’t turn off the cruise, but just releases it from the current set speed. Either way, we can tap resume. He thinks I’m damaging it somehow. I think that’s what the cancel button is for. Dinner rides on your response! Thanks!

I wonder how many other completely wrong ideas he has . Yes, that is what the cancel button is for and I use all the time.

6 Likes

Six of one, half a dozen of another. I prefer to tap the brake. Either way you’re not hurting anything.

I prefer cancel, tapping the brakes with cars behind you might confuse them. But I also tap the brakes at times.

1 Like

If he is proven to be wrong, is he going to deny you the right to eat dinner?
Yikes!

1 Like

The cancel button is designed specifically to cancel CC. The brake tap method is there because you don’t want the car to try to maintain its speed while you’re trying to stop. Both ways cancel CC by design.

His way is ever-so-slightly worse, however, because it could cause additional wear on break pads. That’s very insignificant, and wouldn’t be worth mentioning except that he has the nerve to tell you that it’s bad to use the cancel button as intended.

He owes you dinner.

2 Likes

Dutch treat, I do the tap the brakes, because it is easy for me, I can’t see it really makes a difference one way or another. Our newer car has a sensor, so the car automatically adjusts to the speed of the car in front of you. Consideration for your next vehicle.

1 Like

When I’m near the exit I put my foot on the gas pedal and cancel. If I have to slow down I use the brake pedal. Both work just as well.

Why would the manufacturer provide this button if it causes damage? His position makes no sense.

2 Likes

You’re certainly not damaging anything by using the cancel button. It’s there for a reason. Tapping the brakes is a valid solution solution as well. Neither method will harm the cruise control. I typically tap the clutch pedal, cancels the cruise control and doesn’t turn on the brake lights.

3 Likes

@JanetGruwell Did you get enough replies to claim your dinner ?

3 Likes

Maybe yes, maybe no.
Perhaps her husband is one of those people who claim that anything not to their liking is “fake news”.

1 Like

Based on the responses, we’re going Dutch treat on the dinner. But he agrees that my way is just as good as his.

1 Like

You should’ve held out for the most expensive restaurant in town. :wink:

I am trying to figure out how a married couple goes Dutch . Our accounts and credit cards are joint .
Besides he claimed the cancel button would cause damage so apparently he does not have what it takes to admit that he was completely wrong.

2 Likes

My wife and I have joint accounts, and we also have separate accounts because we are still individuals. :wink:

… or, she could have used the Lysistrata method of “influencing” men:

:wink:

Long ago I stopped asking people to fully explain some of their automotive superstitions to me. The answers I was getting, were so completely disturbing to me, that I had to stop.

1 Like

To this day, my (now-elderly) mother fusses at me if she sees me choose the face vents when the heater’s on. “You’ll wreck it.” No, Mom, I promise, the top vents aren’t made from Velveeta. They won’t melt.

1 Like

LOL… Believe me @shadowfax your mothers “thing” with the top vents is mere childs play to some of the things I have heard told.

I honestly did stop asking for explanations from people because at some point I realized that for some folk to hold the ideas they were explaining to me it had to mean that their entire paradigm for living was vastly out of whack, just by their association with those ideas or superstitions. Those ideas sort of affect other areas if you know what I mean…they just do…

I didn’t want to be so aware that these people were driving on the same roads that I frequented. It was extremely disheartening to say the least.

3 Likes