2008 Chevy Cobalt .. Repair and flip or just wash my hands of it?

So , I picked up this 2008 Chevy Cobalt cheap ($500) …Knowing it has an issue under the hood. It seems obvious that there is something with the head and will need a new head or one from a junk yard. No coolant in oil or oil in coolant or anything like that.or overhearing . just rattles and obviously loses power but then sort of smooths out at higher speeds.

Anyways I got the car with the intent to fix it and sell it and I need help deiding if I should still fix it and sell it or should I just wash my hands of it and get rid of it ?! Car has 197k miles on it, AC is not holding a charge so not workig, theres a crack at bottom of window (affecting visibility) but the interior is really clean.
I just don’t know what all I’m going to be getting into here , I mean I suppose would be smartest to see whats gong on in there to make any kind of decision. just wondering if any oopnions or support out there, Obv I can get cheap work done and likely get a head from a junk yard …but at the end of the day is it worth it or should I just get rid of it ?! hah help! : )

Thanks in andvance for any opinions/help with this decision !

got it too flip. so you need to find out what is wrong if you want to fix it.

If you intend to fix it a flip it and you are not doing the work yourself, dump it. I don’t care how cheap you buy a car for, if you think you can fix it and sell it for a profit paying others to do the work, you can’t.

If you just drive it as a beater and then scrap it, go for it. Drive it 'til she blows!

1 Like

Given this extremely questionable diagnosis, cut your losses before you start shoveling money into it.

I’d do a general tune up on it, then go from there. I’ve flipped several vehicles myself. If you can’t figure out the issues and do the work yourself, you’re generally screwed. I always felt like the knowledge to fix it yourself was the reason for the profit on the sale.

1 Like

Why do you think there’s an issue with the head? This sounds to me like a stretched timing chain and/or worn timing chain tensioner. I have never worked on a GM vehicle, let alone a Chevy Cobalt, so I cannot tell you how easy (or not) it will be to change the timing chain and tensioner. I very seriously doubt you have to pull the head in order to accomplish this repair, so I’d refrain from doing that unless a diagnostic test confirms damaged valves or leakage between cylinders.

BTW, as another poster pointed out, the profit in fixing and flipping used cars comes from you doing the work yourself. If you have to pay someone else to do the work for you, you won’t make a profit. The reason should be glaringly obvious. A “mechanic special” typically sells for Blue Book less the cost of needed repairs (at shop prices). If you DIY, then instead of paying shop prices, you’re buying the parts online for a fraction of retail, and your time is free. The only time it makes sense to pay someone else to fix a car you just bought is if you really like the model, and you plan to keep it and drive it.