2008 Chevrolet Equinox Stabilitrak warning

I have 2008 Chevy Equinox 3.4 AWD. A service stabilitrak/traction control error pops up after driving the car for 1-2 miles. It only happens if the car has been sitting for a while/first drive of the day. If I turn the car off and then back on, after the alert, then the alert will not appear again until the car is turned off and sits for a while. The error code is C0040-0F. I had the front right wheel sensor replaced, but it’s still doing the same thing.

Is the car still throwing the C0040-0F code? Or was that the code read just before you changed the sensor? Was bearing itself replaced or only the sensor?

If only the sensor was replaced, I’d guess the right front wheel bearing is failing (looseness) and causing the fault IF the code is still C0040-0F.

Correct. The same error code appeared after the sensor was replaced. Only the sensor was replaced. The hub hasn’t been related yet. I think I might try that next. It’s so strange that the car only gets the alert after the car has not been in use for a while. If I restart the car after getting the alert, then it’s fine until the next day.

If it’s not the sensor, it could be the tone ring has a crack or the wiring between sensor and computer is intermittent.

Why did you make me guess this? Why didn’t you post ALL the info in the original post?

Not to criticize you personally, but I absolutely hate it when I am fed bits and bytes of the symptoms rather than the whole story. I am not a pro mechanic but an engineer and hobby mechanic. I suspect that is also an issue with many of the professional mechanics here.

You probably don’t realize this is an issue to some, but if you are asking for help, the whole story will get you far better information than doling it out in segments. Just friendly advice.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was implied in the original post that I was still getting the same error code by me stating that it was still doing the same thing after I had the sensor replaced. I truly appreciate your help. I will try to be clearer.

1 Like

TL;DR after various repairs to address traction control stabilitrak for my 2008 Chevy Equinox I’m not sure it has been properly fixed. We’ve repaired or replaced wheel bearings, EGR valve twice, EGR hose, ECM, spark plugs (twice), and spark plug cables.

Hi, I have had this service stabilitrak traction control message as an ongoing issue for over a year. I had been taking it to a local AAA certified repair facility but after a few weeks or so the message would return. Eventually, I also noticed some rough engine operation (this may or may not be related - the stabilitrak system has multiple components and any one fault would trigger the warning) but at this point I took my vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer where they gutted me for $1200+ to replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the engine control module (ECM). The spark plugs were replaced at the previous year but were all damaged due to faulty spark plug cable boots. General Motors has a reimbursement process to replace the spark plug wire boots which I am now undergoing to see if I can get any of that money back. A week after this repair the Stabilitrak and Traction Control message reappeared and Chevrolet said the EGR valve was not reading correctly (also was replaced last year). Once that was replaced at $500+ I have not had any further issues but it has only been a few days.

Sheesh!! I hope your Equinox is fixed now. How did you find out about the spark plug wire boots? I contacted the dealer about 2 weeks ago and they said there weren’t any programs out.

I just had the front hubs replaced. The hub replacement did not resolve the issue. The mechanic cleared the codes post repair and then the same code popped up. Now the alert light comes on after driving only a couple hundred feet instead of 1-2 miles. But if I drive the car for 20-30 minutes, turn it off and back on again, then the error will not come on unless I let the car sit for a few hours.