2007 Toyota Camry - Missing oil

My oil disappears after every 600km. There are no leaks and it isn’t burning it. No smell or blue/black smoke from the exhaust is visible. After 650 km no oil is can be seen on the dipstick and the oil light never comes on. No error codes are present.

You’re either leaking and/or burning oil, The only 2 options.

2 Likes

The 4 cylinder engine is known to consume engine oil. There was a warranty extension to correct this problem, it expired 7 years ago.

2 Likes

My guess, the oil is being burned in the engine. The reason you don’t see any smoke, the catalytic converter is doing its job. Two common reasons for oil consumption in modern engines, valve stem seals, or aligning piston ring gaps. Probably the second in your case. As long as the oil consumption doesn’t get worse, you can probably get away with monitoring the oil level frequently & adding oil as needed between changes. There is some risk to this approach however; the cat may meet an earlier than normal demise…

By not checking and adding oil when needed has only made the problem worse. Your choice, check a oil level frequently and add oil as needed or trade the car in on a new one.

2 Likes

Assuming no oil on dipstick means 2 qts low?
When you add 1 qt is level seen on dipstick?
No oil on dipstick could be 4 qts low. Or no oil?
I’d think motor might not like no oil

3 Likes

After re-reading OP, it appears the poster means the oil level goes from “full” on the dipstick, to no oil visible on the dipstick at all in 650 km. If so, That’s a worse problem compared to burning one quart in 650 km, and probably means the engine either needs to be replaced or the existing engine needs to be removed & disassembled to assess what’s wrong.

If you let your oil get below the “add” mark, you’re risking engine damage, just so you know.

1 Like

Yup, right up to the point when the catalytic converter is destroyed by the oil that is coating its substrate. If the OP wants to keep this car, I strongly recommend that he begin pricing an engine rebuild. Yes, it will be pricey, but it will cost less in the long run than if he has to pay for a new cat converter in addition to the engine rebuild. Deferring the engine rebuild will add a LOT to his final bill.

1 qt per 300km? What’s the old joke? Fill up the oil and check the gas?

Years ago one of my relatives had an Oldsmobile 442. He had to add a quart of oil every time he got gas … lol … oil leak.

When I was a gas jockey, that’s exactly what a Corvair owner said to me.

1 Like

Yep, my 49 Studebaker flathead 6 was like that. Burned more oil than a two stroke motor. Great for fogging for mosquitoes.