2007 prius (27K miles) or 2008 elantra (100K miles)

Sorry I was a bit too broad.
Let’s say it’s got 8 years less than a new one.
Certainly a low risk for the 2 years the OP plans to use it.

Below is a Q/A from this website on the topic of hybrids. The OP may gain additional information by reading about hybrids on this website under the tab: Car Info.

Isn’t it true that no one knows how long the batteries will last, and that having to replace them could cost several thousand dollars?

The jury is still out on the longevity of the hybrid battery bank. To date, however, they’ve proven themselves to be fairly hardy. Toyota is pretty confident; they say that their batteries are expected to last the lifetime of the vehicle, and that lab tests show that they can go the equivalent of 180,000 miles with no deterioration. We have no idea if Ford’s results will be similar. Honda says its battery packs are designed to last 10 years under normal driving conditions. Honda, Ford and Toyota all warrantee their battery packs for eight years or at least 80,000 miles.

The only numbers I could find for Prius battery failure rate was this CR survey summary. Looks like Prius batteries are VERY reliable, while some Honda model years are very UNreliable:

I find it interesting that Honda has had such an awful time trying to compete with the Prius.

Worse case, at some future time, maybe 5-10 years from now, maybe next month, the Prius will need a replacement battery. So I wonder what would the OP be looking at then, cost wise?

@auto-owner The Civic hybrid and prius use different technology

The Civic is a mild hybrid, while the prius is a strong hybrid

I also believe Toyota managed to patent the more reliable technology.

Some manufacturers pay . . . or used to, anyways . . . to license Toyota technology

Honda chose not to go that route, and came up with its own system, which has proven to be far less robust

For shipping charges only why not snag the car anyway? I’m a firm believer in having backups and when you can get anything for a price like that jump on it.

Initially, Toyota managed to steal the strong hybrid technology. It cost the several million for that “error”. The weak hybrids weren’t covered by the same patents that Toyota infringed upon. That’s why Honda and GM chose the weak hybrid route.

@GeorgeSanJose When checking into the replacement of a Civic Hybrid battery replacement through Honda for my 2006, I was told they ran about $3k. It was a posting here a few years ago where the OP had replaced a Prius battery system and had paid about the same amount that prompted me to inquire. My maintenance tech said because the car was purchased and maintained by them, the dealer would usually pay 1/2 the cost of replacement (but usually not all). The original batteries were warranted for 100k through Honda, but replacement batteries would be warranted for 12 months from the manufacturer only.

Seems like the Prius is a no-brainer, what with your max out of pocket on a replacement battery of $1500. And that’s only if the current battery fails.

What’s wrong with the current car, exactly? I don’t see a compelling need to change it in the next two years, absent withheld info. The smartest financial move might be to get the Prius, “detail for retail,” and sell.

Of course, that begs the question of how mom and dad feel about “flipping” the Prius. That may or may not be a problem.

The OP could discuss taking the Prius to sell it, but the 'rents might prefer to get the cash themselves. This little talk is imperative if OP wants to flip the Prius.