2007 Infiniti G35 - Bad transmission

2007 Infiniti purchased with 140 000 miles but car spent most it’s lifetime impounded, 2 to 3 years, dealer put 70 000 miles on it while he had the vehicle before I purchased, 3 weeks and transmission waisted? Whose fault is this? Could he know the transmission was faulty?

Possibly, but no way to know for sure. Unless dealer admits such knowledge, nearly impossible to prove. Suggest to focus your resources on getting the transmission repaired or replaced. Then you can provide the dealership w/a copy of the repair invoice, and inform them you’d like to feel you’d be treated fairly if purchase a new car from them in the future.

The on average life of the Infiniti G35 transmissions is about 130,000-180,000 miles depending on how it was maintained…
Could the dealer have known the trans was about to fail?? Sure… Did the dealer know about it, well, that would be very hard to prove in court… Could it just be the luck of the draw?? Yes…
Did you sign the as is no warranty paperwork?? Never seen or heard of a dealer not having that…
Are there some shady dealers out there?? Yes!
Are there some very good legit dealers out there?? Yes!
Which one did you get, may never know…

Did you expect to buy a perfect 16 year old vehicle with 140,000 miles on it??

And I really don’t think that calling 2-3 years out of 16 years is most of it’s life…

1 Like

With that many miles, even states with used car lemon laws are unlikely to help you. https://www.mass.gov/used-car-lemon-law

Why, oh why do people buy cars with shady histories and then blame someone else…

4 Likes

Do you have it checked out by your mechanic before you bought it??

No? Then you gambled and just rolled snake eyes!

6 Likes

I think that Dave summed it up perfectly., especially in regard to…

The legal system is all about proof, and without tangible proof that the dealer knew the trans was faulty, I think that a lawsuit against the dealership is almost surely going to be a futile effort.

As much as I and the other forum members empathize with the OP, buying a 16 year old vehicle with that many miles on the odometer (and very likely an unknown maintenance history) is going to be a roll of the dice. And, if the OP didn’t have his own mechanic inspect it prior to purchase, that roll of the dice is much more likely to come up as a losing proposition.

1 Like

I interpret the OP as saying the 2007 was first driven (when new) 70K miles over the course of (presumably) just a few years, then it was impounded (for unknown reasons) & spent the majority (10 years say) of its 16-year life impounded, unused, then 2-3 years ago a dealer purchased it from the impound lot and used it for another 70K miles, yielding a total of 140 K miles now, before selling it to OP. Maybe OP will clarify.

Impounded for 10 years? really George?? No company is going to impound a car for 10 years in most cases, If they did that then the impound lot would fill up very fast and then they would not be able to impound anymore vehicles and go out of business…
Now if it was a 71 Hemi Cuda convertible 4 speed worth 7 figures, then maybe yes… lol
But the name of the game is to turn and burn… Not sit on it for long periods of time, impound lots are used mainly for/by police (various reasons), wrecked cars, repo’s etc until they can be picked up after paying al fees or slapped a lien on and sold at action etc…

In most places, your vehicle can remain impounded for up to 30 days . After that time has elapsed, the tow company/impound lot will put a lien on the car and auction it off to cover its expenses.

Wasted? Like requiring rebuild? Is it awd?

Buy a new car? Would a new car dealer buy and sell vehicles from an impound auction?

Good luck negotiating with a junk dealer. Don’t buy old cars unless you want to get dirty.

In a normal used car market? Of course not. During the pandemic-induced shortages? Dealers got creative about sourcing inventory. And when I drove past new car dealers, I often saw vehicles offered for sale, which were 10-15 years old, sometimes even older. In a normal used car market, those trade-ins would have gone straight to the auction house.

1 Like

+1
And, they got very… creative… regarding pricing. The VW dealership in Princeton was selling a “new” Jeep Wrangler–with less than 8k miles on the odometer–for close to $10k over the sticker price of a new one. I don’t know what price they actually got for it, but it did move off of their lot in less than 1 month.

I wonder if the buyer of that Jeep realized that the previous owner clearly must have hated the vehicle and that there was a strong possibility that it was a lemon that the first owner just didn’t want to deal with any longer.

1 Like

Possible repo… Bought, then lost job and had to give it up maybe… Or could have been a POS… lol

1 Like