2007 Ford Five Hundred doesn't like gas

I have an 07 Ford 500. This is a company car that I have been driving for about a year. For the first 2-3 months I had no problems with the car. Then when I would be filling up the gas tank it would stop filling up about halfway full… like when the tank is full and the pump automatically stops pumping. This got progressively worse until now it will only pump a gallon at a time before auto shut off, and this is when I am only holding the gas pump handle just tight enough to make the gas trickle out. If I squeeze the handle “full throttle” it will shut off after 2-3 seconds. Shortly after I began to have the problem I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the neck of the tank where I pump the gas into. This did not help at all. So, I took it back and they said the replaced the tank and everything that connects to the tank, then they took it to the gas station themselves only to discover that it hadn’t helped. As such, they informed me that there was nothing more they can do. So, I have been dealing with the annoyance and I have tried every gas pump in town to see if there is one that may be better than the other but they are all the same… my just doesn’t like gas. As this is a fleet car repair cost is not an issue as I don’t have to pay for it. However, I don’t know what to tell a emchanic to check as the dealer replaced everything… I would say that is pretty thorough. Everyone else in my company has the same car and no one has the same issue. If anyone has any ideas or can give some advice I would greatly appreciate any help.

If its an 07, should the car still be under warranty? If so take it to the dealer. for the time, don,t put the gas nozzle all the way in, just about half way.

Thanks for the suggestion wizard. I have tried every variation of nozzle insertion possible, it doesn’t help. It is not under warranty as I have driven well over the mileage due to it being a company car. Plus, I have already taken it to the dealer as noted above. I was hoping someone could recommend something I could tell them (or another shop) to check as they have already said they have done everything they can do.

Do you have a habit of topping off the tank when you fill it? If so, you’ve likely contaminated the charcoal canister - it’s a canister that collects fuel vapour and prevents it from going into the air. What you’re describing is classic canister saturation, where liquid fuel gets to the canister and ruins it. I don’t know if warranty will cover this repair, though, since it’s not a manufacturing defect.

I don’t see how a contaminated charcoal canister can stop you from pumping gas into the tank.

And neither do I. Although this idea seems to be the classic retort whenever someone has a similar problem, I’ve never seen a shred of evidence anywhere that a contaminated charcoal canister is at fault. Wknight7, if you ever find a solution, please let us know.

Do a midnight swap with one of your co-workers…

Puzzling

deleted

If your problem is with the charcoal cannister you may be in luck. It is part of the emissions control system and has a much longer warranty than what the manufacturer give for the drivetrain. Check with a dealer and ask if it is still covered.

Here is another post with the same problem!!

http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/1/837213.page#918036

found a temporary work around: looks like the vent valve is the problem.

There is a rig up method to fill the tank, or you can get the vent valve fixed correctly. To rig it: go to a parts store; buy a gas rated small hose (1/4" or so) about 3 feet long; take cap off and feed the hose into the tank, leaving some hanging out (so you don’t lose the hose into the tank and can get it out); then fill the tank as you normally would. The tank will vent out the little hose. Don’t let the hose get under the gas level. You need to be above the gas level. Ie, if it stops feeding, pull the small hose out some. This will get you by until you get the vent valve fixed.

I’d also tie a string or wire to the end of the hose to prevent it from falling into the tank.

HAD A CAR LIKE THAT A WHILE AGO, I USE TO PUT THE NOZZLE IN UPSIDE DOWN. IF I PUT IT IN THE RIGHT WAY IT WOULD SHUT OFF WHEN I PUMPED THE GAS. IT WORKED FOR ME GOOD LUCK

I don’t see how a contaminated charcoal canister can stop you from pumping gas into the tank.

It damaged the canister and the air in the tank has to vent out through the canister as you fill it, topping it off damages that canister so it can no longer vent and the air has to come out the same hose the fuel is coming in.

thanks

I’ve never seen a shred of evidence anywhere that a contaminated charcoal canister is at fault

The description is a classic.  It damages the canister and the air in the tank has to vent out through the canister as you fill it, topping it off damages that canister so it can no longer vent and the air has to come out the same hose the fuel is coming in.

Gas tanks have an anti-spill valve that stops fuel from pouring out the filler neck if the car should turn onto its side, or upside down, in an accident. Sometimes, this anti-spill valve will block the fill tube for some unknown reason. Use a 2 foot long slender branch (about 1/2 inch diameter). Push it into the filler tube, down to the gas tank opening, and push the anti-spill valve open. Filler up!

Unfortunately I think they would catch on to the switch. Thanks for the advice… I’ll go to a different dealer and tell them to check all the ideas mentioned here.