2007 Dodge Dakota - Rough re-starts

my dodge dakota runs good but once it gets hot and try to restart it, sometimes it sounds like its running on 2 cylinders and other time it just keeps trying to crank but never does. i let it cool off and it will start right up

What engine, 3.7L V6 or 4.7L V8??

Do you have a check engine light (CEL) on??
If not have you checked for any pending codes??
If on, what codes??

How long has this been happening?

Possible crankshaft position sensor…

Looking at live data (on a scanner) might give you some direction as to what is going on…

1 Like

My guess, mixture is too rich. Symptom will be worse when engine warm b/c warm engine requires less rich mixture, not more. Good advice above, check for diagnostic codes both current and pending, and OBDII scanner monitoring live data, especially fuel trims when this is occurring.

The mixture should be leaned out when the engine is hot, so these sensors might be involved

• coolant temp sensor
  • O2 sensor(s)

Other possibilities, just to keep things interesting

• Evap system purge sensor
  • EGR is turning on when it shouldn’t (e.g. EGR shouldn’t be on when starting engine or idling
    after first starting engine)
  • Fuel rail pressure too high

The fuel pump is failing. When the fuel pump fails to hold pressure after shut-off, the gasoline in a hot fuel rail will boil. When restarting the engine, the vapors in the front/top of the fuel rail causes the front cylinders to misfire.