2006 Mustang has a dead battery and wet floors

Got a 2006 Mustang GT. 77,000 miles. Two minor problems:
1 - If I don’t drive it for two weeks, occasionally, but not always, the battery drains. I think it’s the CD changer which loops infinitely. What starts the loop - I don’t know.

2 - When it rains, I can get wet feet. There is a leak under the dash somewhere. I cleaned out everything that I can find to clean out. Ideas?

Thanks

You have what is known as a parasitic draw. If you suspect the CD changer, pull its fuse. The location is in your owners manual. If this is a non-factory changer, it is even more likely to be the problem. If pulling the fuse fixes it, great, now you know what to replace. If it doesn’t work, take it to a repair shop and have them do a parasitic draw test to find the culprit. If you want to do it yourself, YouTube has a number of videos showing how. Try Eric the Car Guy’s site.

The wet feet issue is a little more difficult. Make sure the AC drains are clear.

Next, pull back the front carpet, get out your flashlight and have someone spray the car only at the base of the windshield. Is water coming in? From where? Seal that spot with body seal sealer available online or at car paint stores. No water?? Have them spray at the top of the glass. Water coming in? I’d guess the windshield seal has gone bad. Have a glass company come out and re-seal or replace the windshield.

No water either spot? The water is likely splash from the front tires. That means the inner fender liner needs to come out. Look for the seam where the floor and firewall come together. Seal that.

Hopefully that gets it done. You might have to do this more than once. Water leaks like this are a bear to solve.

Thank you sir. I’m on it.

1 Like

While you are checking your AC drain, check your cabin air filter, it is probably soaked.

Thanks. I don’t think that’s the issue. I cleaned out all the debris from that poorly designed gutter and took out the rubber funnels so my air filter will probably be ok, though it is it spring in NYC so I’m due to clean out this year’s tree droppings.

I even cleaned out the drains at the bottom of the doors.

I’m beginning to think it is a windshield problem but at 6’4" and 240 getting my fat rump under the dash to see what is what isn’t going to be easy.

Thanks again. I’ll keep on it.

John Ottavino

The AC drain is not in any area you described. It’s on the firewall, in the lower half, on the passenger side. Find it and push something flexible into the hole to unclog it. Don’t use a screwdriver, as that could damage the evaporator. If you hear sloshing when you turn the car, the evaporator drain is even more likely the source of water. This is a lot easier if you have a lift, but you could use jack stands to do it.