2006 KIA Rio Transmission leak

Hi guys:

I purchased a used 2006 KIA Rio 1.6 Liter DOHW (Dual Overhead Hamster Wheels) with 57K and had the ATF changed at my regular shop (a Buick dealer) at 60K as specified in the owner’s manual. After a few days of driving I noticed an ATF drip on the floor of my garage overnight. Brought it back to the shop and they said nothing wrong fluid is at proper level. OK, looked on the internet and found that KIA recommends a specific fluid and even though the Buick dealer had only done a drain and refill (3 qts. Diamond SP3), I wasn’t sure that the mixture of that with KIA fluid was causing the ATF to “foam” out of the vent on the top of the tranny case, eventually finding its way to my garage floor.

I decided to take the car to a KIA dealer as they are the experts in this regard - Right! They have had the car four times and the problem remains; after driving for about twenty miles (my commute) there are a couple of ounces of ATF in the nooks and crannies on top of the transmission case. I have had the KIA dealer drain and refill the transmission using KIA ATF (they put in six quarts on a drain and refill), same problem. My dipstick reads about a half inch over the maximum “Hot” level on the stick with the engine off overnight. The last time there, I had them keep the car overnight and gave them a procedure to check and record “Cold” ATF level, drain tranny and refill one quart at a time until proper level was set “Cold”, then adjust “Hot” per factory specs. They said transmission was two quarts overfilled and is now OK. I now have over 65K on the car, my same problem persists, and I am so desperate to have it resolved I am considering writing to “Click & Clack” for help. What do you think?

I would clean as much of the old transmission fluid and crud from the general area as possible, then let it sit to see if it drips. If it doesn’t drip, start the car and let it warm up while watching for drips. I’m wondering if during the original fluid change if one of the cooler lines was damaged somehow and now you have a very small leak that occurs under pressure.