2006 Jeep Wrangler died and won’t start

While driving, my Jeep made a clunking sound and completely shut down. I tried to start it. It only makes clicking sounds. My question, could it be an engine or starter problem? The battery is working well.

Likely engine. The starter wouldn’t cause the engine to stop, just prevent it from re-starting.

1 Like

If it shut down (stalled) while running, it’s not the starter. And if you only get a clicking sound, it would indicate the engine is frozen. But if that happened, you would have come to a screeching stop as the engine froze.

However, another possibility is that the electrical system has a major fault, like a dead battery. That would cause the engine to die, and not restart.

When it shut down, what else happened? what dash lights came on? Were you still in gear? Or did you come to a fast stop?

The 4cyl that year had a timing belt, maybe a broken belt if yours is a 4cyl?

would a broken timing belt prevent the starter from cranking the engine? I guess if it is an interference engine and the valves jammed, the engine would be unable to crank, perhaps.

usually when a motor stalls the oil pressure light comes on. i normally pull over and try to crank motor. usually in gear so nothing happens. shift to park and hope it cranks. usually does and usually starts. never had a battery fail and not crank in that setting. but than i have never had a motor fail. OP says it made clunking sounds as it stopped running. maybe he was coasting? a wrangler is not exactly quiet normally. i dont know if it is an auto trans or manual.

My money is on a bearing seizure.
How often do you check your oil?

1 Like