I paid $6K used for this gem, with all the extras: sunroof, power doors/windows, roof rack and tow hitch. We used the all-seats-stow-and-go to the max, hauling our stuff as we moved 4 times; throwing an inflatable bed in the back with our gear and driving across the country 6 or more times including OR to NYC while sleeping in the back.
Now, with my mechanic telling me I’d be throwing $$ away putting in a now-needed new A/C, Alternator and water pump, I have to face the prospect of letting her go. He says at 10 years old, it’s just going to keep costing me repairs at this point.
What new(ish) vehicle can I now switch to that allows me EITHER:
- the same van-camping/hauling experience with that same HUGE cargo area (WITHOUT having to actually remove seats manually),
- the next step up, which would allow us to tow a roomier 2-person camper (18’ - 24’?), and consequently likely have 4WD. Does this only mean a 1/4 ton+ pickup truck?
I really want to maintain the ability to drive around town and park in normal sized spaces, so no motorhomes ( Class A/C ) cuz they are just too big. A Class B campervan vehicle might be workable if it can park reasonably.
The CONS to our current Grand Caravan experience that I wouldn’t mind upgrading include:
- Better inside bathroom option than composting toilet
- In hot weather, it’s really uncomfortable to sleep in the back because of lack of ventilation, including when it rains, which means I can’t open windows much. Also, the only windows that roll down are the driver and passenger windows
- Also in rainy weather, getting in/out of the vehicle without muddying our bedding is difficult when camping.
- Ability to prepare our own food