2006 Chrysler 300 - flashing oil light

I’m driving 2006 Chrysler 300 and engine oil light comes on and keeps flashing. Minutes later it goes off and comes back on. Moments later, vehicle shuts off and refuses to start. After 15-20 mins, engine starts and drives for another 10-15 minutes and shuts off again. Don’t know what going on and need some help. Changed the oil pressures switch but problem still occurs

Then you need to hook up a pressure gauge and find out if the oil pressure is within specifications.

6 Likes

The car is trying to prevent you from destroying its engine. You are trying hard to work around that safegaurd. Keep it up and you will seize the engine from lack of oil.

Tow it to a shop that can diagnose the actual problem. Don’t be surprised if they recommend a new engine.

5 Likes

Have you at least checked the engine oil level . . . ?!

That is the first step

If the level isn’t within the cross-hatched marks, top it off as needed

4 Likes

I assume you checked the oil level. My next step would be to change the oil filter. It could be defective and blocking oil from getting to the engine. I had that happen to me once.

You’re a swell guy, Keith :smiley:

We’ve seen plenty of people come to this website asking for help, and they haven’t even done the basics, such as checking fluid level, reading the owner manual, and so forth

I’m more of a cynic . . . but based on plenty of experience

Probably every week one of our fleet’s vehicle operators comes in complaining that the red low engine oil pressure warning is lit. When we ask them if they’ve checked the engine oil level, we get that “deer in the head lights look”

And these vehicle operators are supposed to check the fluid levels, lights, tires, etc. every single time they check out and operate the vehicle(s). These vehicles even have an employer-supplied folder, which plain as day states what the operator is supposed to check every day

You can lead a horse to water . . .

4 Likes

The reason I assumed that was this statement

If he had the knowledge to change the pressure sending unit, he should know to check the oil level first. If he had a mechanic do this for him, the mechanic should have done this first.

BUT, I could be wrong, you know the three words that make up assume.

Edit: I am a swell guy, thanks for noticing. BTW, humble too

1 Like

You have a point, but I’ll counter it nevertheless

There are plenty of people out there who replace parts solely because they read it on the internet, without understanding why

I could imagine a scenario where a guy jumps ahead and skips step one . . . . which would be checking the engine oil level

I know plenty of guys who’ve replaced sensors, switches, etc. . . . without first checking the fuse or looking to see if there’s a physically broken wire, for example

and the amount of work to replace some of these sensors and switches was considerable . . .

1 Like

Describe your problem. Well, I have a Chrysler. There you go.

2 Likes

My thermometer says I have a temperature of 103 degrees instead of 98.6, so I replaced my thermometer.

2 Likes

That is reminiscent of the guy who touched-up his chest x-rays because they indicated pneumonia.

2 Likes

The operative word here is SHOULD.

2 Likes