2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Codes

Getting a b1000 b0084 and b0083 trouble code on a 06 Silverado. Can the b0084 and b0083 cause the b1000 code to also display?

B1000 typically means an internal fault in the body control module. The other codes are for airbag problems but that’s likely to be a false trail. Have the body control module taken care of and see if the other codes persist.

Are you saying a fault in the BCM may cause other false trouble codes? The other codes are seat position sensors. Originally the light came on on the dash then went out on its own and subsequently reappeared.

I’d certainly say it’s possible.

Are saying an internal fault in the BCM can cause other false trouble codes in the SRS?

Again, yes, I consider it possible. Have the BCM replaced and see if the other codes persist. If I’m right they’ll go away, if I’m not the BCM was still faulty so you’re not out anything.

Okay, thanks. I appreciate your help.

Terry

Again, thanks very much for your help. I found a problem, as you said, with the BCM and corrected it. There was a lot of moisture around the plug I dried it out reconnected and the B 1000 code has gone away. However, I am still getting the B0083 and B0084 trouble codes. I pulled out both seats, checked all my wiring and so far have not found anything that does not have continuity. It seems strange that both seat position sensors would go bad at the same time. Any suggestions?
One thing I found odd was that the seat belt switches, according to my wiring diagram, appear to be normally open, but when I checked them, they are normally closed. Is that correct? Also, is there a way to test the seat position sensors?

Honestly I don’t have a clue. I’m not a mechanic, just a regular car owner who guesses right occasionally.

My info shows the two codes are for front impact sensors. Is that what you are looking at?

You are correct that those codes are for front impact sensors, but only for some vehicles. On my truck they indicate seat position sensors. I have pulled my seats and checked resistance every wire related to those sensors and I think I have come to the conclusion that the original response that I got from Dave is correct. However, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don’t think the BCM has anything to do with the airbag system on this vehicle. Rather, the SDM (Inflatable Restraint Sensing & Diagnostic Module) handles it all. This is the module mounted under the driver’s seat.

DTC B0083 and B0084 will set when one of the following conditions occur (SPS= Seat Position Sensor):

• The SDM detects the SPS circuit amperage is 4 mA or less for 500 milliseconds.
  • The SDM detects the SPS circuit amperage is between 8 mA-11 mA for 500 milliseconds.
  • The SDM detects the SPS circuit amperage is 18 mA or greater for 500 milliseconds.

The following is the basic diagnostic procedure from the FSM:

Check all wiring connectors for corrosion or poor connections.
Check the SPS signal circuits for a short to ground, a high resistance, or an open.
Check the SPS low reference circuits for a short to ground, a high resistance, or an open.
Check the SPS signals and low reference circuits for a short to voltage.
If all these checks are not okay, then either there’s a wiring or power problem, the SPS’s may be bad, or the SDM may be bad.

Sorry, my mistake. I think you are correct. It is the SDM. At this point I have checked all my wiring and everything seems to be okay. Previously I was also seeing the B1000 code but this one has gone away. There was a lot of moisture in the padding around the SDM, which I dried up. After doing so, the B1000 code went away. I am now wondering if the seat position sensor errors I am seeing are because of possible damage to the SDM from the moisture. I replaced one of the seat position sensors but still get trouble code for it.

Just wanted to give an update for others out there that may have the same issue. I have discovered that this is a common problem with these trucks. Moisture gets under the mat and into the padding and damages the airbag module. This in turn causes codes that are erroneous. I chased wiring and replaced seat position sensors to no avail. Finally, I replace the airbag module, which corrected the problem. I replaced it with a matched part number and service number and did not even have to have any programming done. Thanks to the other posters for steering me in the right direction.