2006 Chevrolet Corvette - Future issues?

I just bought a 2006 Corvette from its original owner with 47,000 miles on it.
It has a 6-speed transmission.
What kind of problems (non-maintenance) has anyone experienced with this car and at about what mileage did it occur?
Thanks !

This type of question shows up here entirely to often . There is not a real answer , just because someone had a problem at a certain mileage does not mean you will. Just keep service maintenance up to date and enjoy the Vette.

2 Likes

Depends on how the previous owner used it and how you will use it. ABsoLUTEly no way to guess!

Head over to internet Corvette forums - there are a lot - and see what they say.

See if you can find a copy of the Consumer Reports Used Car Guide. The public library is a good place to find it free. There might be information on the major systems if there were enough responders to their annual survey that own Corvettes.

On the 6L engine version there’s been some problems with the airbag system, painted roof separation, flywheel/clutch cover interference, windshield wiper motor failure, headlights, unintended brake application, power steering hose problems, and a host of other misc stuff w/the body/engine/transmission. None of which imo is unexpected in a performance vehicle. If you want to research these issues further …

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/04/technical-service-bulletins-how-to-find-and-use-tsbs/index.htm

Fellow at work has a 2005. The cat converters were replaced a few years ago. It was covered under a recall or the Emissions warrantee, otherwise it would have been costly. It is surprisingly comfortable and civilized for a sports car.

Ed B.

Thanks for your input.

I bought the 2006 from its original owners who put 47,000 miles on it in 12 years, with ~98% highway miles while taking vacation trips across the country.

They too said it was the most comfortable car that they have owned.

I’m trying to decide on buying the extended warranty (extra 4yrs/50K miles) for ~$2,500.

In a message dated 8/11/2018 8:36:12 AM Central Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

Don’t! The warranty companies make money from this, lots of it. Take the $2500 you’d spend and invest in a growth mutual fund so that when you need it, you’ll have it and there will be even more than the original $2500.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

There was a recall on the roof panel and power steering hose.

I’m just trying to decide on buying the extended warranty for an extra 4 yrs/50K miles (not bumper to bumper coverage) at a cost of ~ $2,500.

The car has 47K miles and I purchased it from its original owners, who had no problems with it.

It’s not my daily driver.

In a message dated 8/10/2018 7:00:22 PM Central Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

Thanks for your input.

I’ve done that and there are some items that show up, but mainly engine cooling system and electrical.

I’m trying to decide to buy the extended warranty for an extra 4yrs/50K miles of coverage at a cost of ~$2,500.

Car has 47K miles and I bought it from its original owners who had no problems with it.

It’s not my daily driver.

In a message dated 8/10/2018 6:51:55 PM Central Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

Extended warranties are really insurance policies, and like all insurance policies, they favor the seller, not the buyer. Given that you won’t be driving the car much, the balance falls farther towards the seller. I would pass on it and save the money for any future repairs.

1 Like

It’s not a GM warranty, is it? I wouldn’t buy it unless it was. Plenty of SCAM aftermarket warranties out there, and I don’t know how to tell a “good” one (but on average a money loser) from a guaranteed money loser.

1 Like

Check out https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Corvette/2006/

This looks like a pretty good car overall.

Thanks for your input.

I’m trying to decide whether or not to purchase the extended warranty ( an extra 4 yrs/50K miles) for ~$2,500.

The car has 47K miles (95% hwy miles-vacations) on it and I purchased it from its original owners (wife’s car/older couple) who had no problems with it.

It’s not my daily driver, but would take it on short trips 2-3 times a year.

In a message dated 8/16/2018 9:55:38 AM Central Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

Don’t bother, it’s going to be a 3rd party warranty, not a factory warranty. They are a waste of money almost 100% of the time. Put that $2,500 in a savings account and use it for repairs…I bet you’ll come out ahead after the 4 years

No extended warranty. None. I expect that no one here will tell you to buy one. It is possible that there will be problems with your car, but it is highly unlikely that they will exceed the $2500 cost of the insurance policy you contemplate.

If you are that worried please give it to me.

2 Likes

if it were me, I’d save the $2500 to pay for the inevitable speeding tickets. Seems my right foot is heavier than my left foot…

Again, thanks !

You’re right - nobody has recommended buying the extended warranty.

Even the dealership advised against it.

My best friend, who sells used Chevy’s and who owned a 2005 for 3 years said whatever might go wrong, I would have the money to fix it. That’s what he did, and saved money not buying the warranty.

In a message dated 8/16/2018 2:45:50 PM Central Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes: