2006 Buick Lucerne - Northstar LD 8 engine

What concern should I have about a Northstar LD 8 engine? Car has 100,000 miles. Never had any issues.

There really aren’t any serious issues with engines built after 2005. The head gasket issues were fixed after that. Just make sure you check the oil level regularly as older engines use more oil and you do not want to run low. If you haven’t had the transmission fluid and filter changed, do it now and again at 130,000. If the yellow check engine light comes on, have it addressed promptly. Do this minor things and the car should run for many more miles.

Is this a car that you own or a car that you’re considering buying?

It belongs to my parents and they are considering downsizing to one car. It drives great. Has been well maintained. I do not currently own, but would take theirs.

if your parents maintained it properly, this should be a good deal for you. If they did not maintain it well, you might not want it. I say might because it looks like it is free to you. That’s a few thousand bucks you could spend before it costs as much as if you bought it at arm’s length. If you aren’t sure about maintenance, just ask them.