2005 s40 volvo engine died! what to do? please help

my 2005 s40 volvo engine died yesterday. i have 60,000 miles, no warranty and have no idea what to do! there was a puttering sound (i know…i should have taken it in)…but then it got louder and i basically burned the engine because there was no oil. BUT…the oil light did not come on and i just had an oil change not too long ago. there was no residue by the exhaust, no clouds of smoke, no dripping, so something was wrong with my engine since it was burning through oil so fast. so what to do now? can i complain to volvo or am i just sol? please help…thinking of selling the car and taking it as a loss…but i’m so angry since the car isn’t that old and i maintained it fairly well. oh…and this car was a replacement car for my first s40 which was a lemon…

[b][i]First s40 Was A “Lemon”. Second s40 “Died” At 60K. Complain To Volvo? Why, Was It A Lemon, Too?

I see a pattern here.[/i][/b]

I wouldn’t buy a third s40.

CSA

I think you maybe sol. After every oil change I check that there are no leaks and there is oil up to at least the middle mark on the dipstick. I check the work to be sure oil is in the motor and isn’t leaking out anywhere.

I suspect either the drain plug on your motor was stripped and either leaked or fell out, letting the oil drain out with it. Or, the oil filter leaked or blew out. If you can prove a defective oil filter, or a stripped drain plug you may get Volvo to pony up for repairs. It depends on how long ago the oil was changed and what evidence is found to determine where the oil leaked out. Good luck.

1. Set your emotions aside
  2. Tow your car to a Volvo independent mechanic or dealer and get an assessment.

You are simply guessing and describe no real symptoms.

duplicate, please disregard and delete.

another duplicate, delete. Computer issues today - sorry.

i already towed my car and those are all comments the volvo indpendent mechanic told me…he said to sell it to the next dealership of where i’m going to get my new car…but is there nothing i can do? how can a 4 year old engine crap out like that?

yeah…this car was the free replacement car for the original lemon. i am never buying another volvo ever again…

next steps: mechanic suggested to try to sell to dealership of new car, but will they even buy a car with no engine? should i sell to a junkyard? ‘pick a part’ shops? craigslist/ebay it? it’s still a great looking car…

Join the club…The Volvo horror stories continue…

" there was a puttering sound (i know…i should have taken it in)…but then it got louder and i basically burned the engine because there was no oil. BUT…the oil light did not come on and i just had an oil change not too long ago."

There is more to this story, much more…