2005 park av brake problem

I have a fairly minor problem. Replacing brake pads. Did the passenger side. Started to do the drivers side. Upper bolt came out but lower was extremely tight. Just like the pass side bolt. Rusty. The problem is the end of the bolt stripped. After it stripped I tried a vise grip but it just strips.

What’s the best way to remove this? I can’t just grind the end off. The caliper has to slide up. Perhaps if I remove the part the caliper bolts into then I could take to my friend to heat it up and remove.

Try an English impact socket that fits tightly. Beat it on with a hammer, hit with PB Blaster, use an impact wrench or a breaker bar on it.

Some parts stores sell Bolt-Off sockets.

mastercraft-6-piece-bolt-out-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-dc87c95f-0169-444b-b538-d1bab7d6ca14

You pound it onto the rounded off head of the bolt, and the flutes of the socket grip the head tighter as you attempt to remove the bolt.

These sockets save my butt many times!

Tester

Caliper guide pins rusted inside the bore? Replace the calipers.

Good ideas above. I’d probably follow the advice above and replace the caliper with a new one. If the bolt is preventing the removal of the caliper I’d probably just drill the old bolt out.

I’m thinking if I remove the bolts on the bracket. I should be able to pull the rotor caliper and bracket off. Then drop the rotor from the caliper. Then I’ll be able to get at the bolt.

As far as the caliper. I had a bitch of a time getting the bottom bolt off the other side. But once I greased it up and put back on it turned easy like it should.

[autozone

$53.99

• Part #22967

• SKU #751718

Is there enough clearance to pound the bolt extractor socket onto the bolt head? It seems to me that even on jack stands the clearance isn’t very good. I’ve removed these bolts on a few cars in the last 50 years on jack stands and access was difficult.

Just unbolt the caliper bracket from the knuckle and pull caliper and bracket off and go from there… You can compress the piston very easily with a screw driver through the inspection hole as shown by Nevada’s picture, rotor not effected in removing the caliper and bracket… Then figure out how to seperate the caliper from the bracket… I think you are overthinking this…

I removed the bracket. Then I was able to get at it better. It’s all fixed. Replaced the bolts. Thanks

3 Likes