2005 Nissan Pathfinder Engine Noise / Roar

Hello all,

Everyone was so great with my last question, I thought I’d try again and see if you can help with my latest issue.

Lately I’ve been noticing a more pronounced noise coming from the engine compartment of my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE (V6). This SUV has never been super quiet, but I don’t remember it being this loud.

The noise always seems to happen when I’m pressing on the accelerator (and hence when RPMs are up over 1600-2000+. I don’t have the pedal to the floor, just normal acceleration. If I let off the gas, the noise goes away. The noise if like a loud roar. There’s no vibration or other feeling from the steering wheel (so I don’t believe its a wheel bearing issue). It sounds more like the fan is working really hard.

I have also more recently noticed a high pitched wine at idle that does go away when I push the accelerator and only sometimes returns when it goes back to idle.

Engine temps appear normal on the guage (are well within the low-mid range of the guage). I don’t get any trouble codes out of the car (had them check on my last inpection 2 weeks ago). Any thoughts on the likely culprit, or things I can try to narrow down what it might be before I take it in?

Since the engine temps seem ok, I’m thinking its unlikely the thermostat is sticking and making the engine work harder to keep things cool. Any other ideas?

Thanks everbody!

Sounds like it could be the Fan-clutch. It’s NOT disengaging.