2005 Kia Optima - Quits after a few miles (oh, and the antifreeeze is spraying out)

Hi,
What could it be?
As I drive my car about roughly 3 miles, the speed starts to decrease. As I give into the gas the speed only decreases to eventually stop. In the meantime, the car is running hot. Antifreeze is spurring out of the overflow. The car has overheated and has to cool. Both fans do work/ top radiator hose has been replaced/ alternator has been replaced/ radiator has been flushed/ thermostat has been replaced. Am I missing something with this car?

You have destroyed your engines head gaskets by this time…

4 Likes

I suspect head gasket failure.

4 Likes

I would guess cylinder head gasket. 15 year old KIA, just start looking for a new car.

4 Likes

Dumb question… but not for a Kia… is there any oil in the car?

1 Like

I’m afraid what you missed is that you don’t keep running an overheating engine until it stops. Serious damage seems pretty likely to me here.

1 Like

Time for another car.

After overheating it so bad that it stops running, multiple times, your engine is shot.

2 Likes

Similar to Mustangman I also wonder about the motor oil level and whether or not the engie is trying to seize up.

Chronic overhearting affects the cylinder walls and piston rings which in turn can cause oil consumption.

1 Like