2005 Ford Taurus tranny problems, suprise, suprise!

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus V6 and have encountered transmission problems today which I have no clue what to do with. After experiencing some difficulty shifting my transmission from P to D or R, I couldn’t get the transmission lever back into park. So I would leave it in nuetral and start it there. But now after parking the car in nuetral and trying to restart I realized that it is stuck in D and will not start. I can’t even move the trans lever to the left of the D position. It will go into D with OD, regular D, or 1 but will not into N, R, or P. Do I need to get it towed into a dealership for service or are their any tricks or advice to at least get it restarted? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My guess is its not a transmission problem, but a problem with the gear lever, or the neutral safety gizmo. The gear lever thingy that is screwed up mechanically does not even attach to the transmission, and is all done through electrical Magic. So Relax it may only needs a adjustment. But it may need to be towed to get it to the repair shop.

Hopefully you only need adjustment in the gear shift linkage.

thanks for the advice americar i greatly appreciate it!